TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Thermostat Replacement

Old 03-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Replacement

Was wondering if anyone has replaced thier Thermostat? I have just recieved mine from TVT and was going to attempt to install it tomorrow morning. I see that it is located right in front, which is nice, but how difficult is it? Will I loose a lot of fluid (coolant) when I remove the stock piece. Meaning is all the fluid just going to come gushing out, or is it just a moderate amount that will squirt out? I would like to not have to replace all of my fluid, just what is lost if that is possible.

If anyone could post their experience or knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated. I will post my experience and reaction to the new modification after install is complete. I chose to purchase the new Thermostat becasue I live in AZ and it is just starting to get H-O-T!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thermostat Replacement

Somebody somewhere has written about it - use search.
You will lose some fluid, but not all of it - I think a gallon if I remember correctly from the article.
Doing a write-up would be appreciated by a lot of people.

Here are some threads...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tvt+thermostat

Here it is... the last place I looked!!!

Last edited by spensley; 03-31-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:59 PM

OK, so I have completed the install of TVT's Modified Thermostat, and have put about 100 miles on since the application.

APPLICATION
I have a N/A coupe, and the thermostat is located right in front of the engiine (If you remove the plasic engine cover, you can plainly see it mounted on the front of the engine block). There are only 2 screws that have to be removed to take off the stock thermostat. I did not drain all of my fluid from the radiator as recommended, I just allowed the fluid from the block to drain out onto a towel that I had tucked below the thermostat after I removed the stock unit. It looked like a lot of fluid came out, but when I replaced the fluid, I put less that one of those gallon jugs of collant (Maybe 1/2 of the big bottle) in the resovoir. I used a 50/50 mix of long life coolant, and also added a bottle of WATER WETTER.

RESULTS
As I mentioned above, I have put over 100 miles on the car since the application, and I have NOT noticed any significant change what-so-ever. The only thing that I noticed to be different is that it takes the car much longer to warm up to its average temperature. After 15 mins of driving in the Arizona sun, the temperature guage still reads where it always has (a tick above half way). The car does not run any different, no noticable change in preformance or average running temperature.
REACTION
Maybe I misunderstodd what the new Thermostat was supposed to do, but I was under the impression that the car would run much cooler (meaning I would see a noticable reading on the temperature guage on the dash). I AM NOT KNOCKING THE PRODUCT, I mean it is probably doing something, it is just that it is not enough for me to notice anything different at all. I bought this new Thermostat becasue I live in Arizona where it is blazing H-O-T, and maybe that is affecting the performance the product is supposed to deliver. I can not advise anyone to BUY or NOT TO BUY, but in my personal experience, I have seen no gain for almost $100 spent.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 PM

thanks for the info now I know the answer to my question, to buy or not to buy? lol

Old 04-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write-up & opinion.
Somebody somewhere on here mentioned putting 2 bottles of water wetter in due to the amount of coolant.

04chrysler - regarding the answer to your question, it's not as earth shattering as "Luke, I am your father!"

Last edited by spensley; 04-01-2008 at 07:15 AM.