Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

well, there you go, no butts about it....I hope this v-8 is running soon, cause this thread is taking a turn.....to who knows where...come on Friday...

Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with you... hurry up to Friday...

We'll have to start a different thread to discuss 'rear ends' in more
detail.....

Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a little fyi when i had my differential rebuilt they put the N/A ring set in there and it seems fine. No way to test it on the track tho my local track is closed for the season until march. No reprogramming was needed.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming everything works out on Friday, my next step will be forced induction. Because of space limitations I and looking at either the supercharger from a 55K motor or a rear mount turbo. Here is some videos of a CLK430 with a rear mount turbo. A turbo'd V8 Crossfire should be pretty quick. i have also poseted a link the the build thread. This is one of my favorite MB forums becasue most of the guys are all gear heads with good attitudes to modifying their cars. There is another guy on there that has already done the Rotrax supercharger which I have no room for under my hood.

YouTube - CLK430 Rear Mount Turbo, burnout and powerslides...

YouTube - Rear Mount Turbo Mercedes CLK430, build pictures and powerslides

CLK430 Turbo Build Thread. - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Old 11-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I have no idea about the compatibility of the ring and pinion gears, but I have a very strong suspition that the whole Pumkin can be bolted into our cars.
Not to change the subject but i have a new srt complete diff. in the mercedes box with the 110 mm flange i might sell to someone...

Old 11-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sowardcustoms
Not to change the subject but i have a new srt complete diff. in the mercedes box with the 110 mm flange i might sell to someone...
I think if you had one for the base/limiteds it would be a better sell since we're trying to lower the gearing(higher numbers mean lower gearing). Not trying to p*ss in your wheaties or anything about the sale, just referencing why we are talking about swapping out rearends.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rcompart
I think if you had one for the base/limiteds it would be a better sell since we're trying to lower the gearing(higher numbers mean lower gearing). Not trying to p*ss in your wheaties or anything about the sale, just referencing why we are talking about swapping out rearends.
I'm aware of that thats why i said not to change the subject but i figured with the bigger flange i'm guessing so it will handle more power maybe someone would have a use for that i know what your talking about this is not my first time around cars o mighty one....

Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular

But thanks forthe lesson...

Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sowardcustoms
I'm aware of that thats why i said not to change the subject but i figured with the bigger flange i'm guessing so it will handle more power maybe someone would have a use for that i know what your talking about this is not my first time around cars o mighty one....
I'm sorry if I came across as being brash. That wasn't the intention of my reply.

Also, the part explaining lowering gears wasn't meant for you but rather anyone that might wonder why we want lower gearing but then talk about rearends with higher numbers.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular

No problem no harm done...

Old 11-12-2009, 03:17 PM

It was probably a very good think the ECU did not get shipped back to me yesterday. We discovered something very interesting. We have been going through the ECU wiring diagrams and discovered that in 2002 on the CL500 MB changed how the start signal got to the ECU which is through the CAN and not through the standard 50 circut the Crossfire uses. This is also when MB started using the infrared key instead of the older type we have. Instead of shipping my replacement ECU out today, Beckmann is going to send out today an unlocked ECU from an older ML430/500. The ML used the older style key which I can verify since I traded a 2002 ML320 for my Crossfire. The Startech V8 Crossfire used ECU A 113 153 04 79 which was used in the ML500 and the pre 2002 CL500 so we may be on to something. The next step is to look at the ECU pinout of the ML.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-12-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:48 AM

Well hopfully today is the day! But I woke up this moringing to a very surprising email! Yesterday I sent Gerhard Schussler an email letting him know of my progress and that I could not get the engine to crank form the key and that to start we have to turn the key "on" and jump the starter. Gerhard is the owner of the one and only Brabus/Startech V8 Crossfire. Gerhard's email to me this morning morning stated his car also does not start from the key and that he turns the key on then hits the starter button that was installed where the cigarette lighter used to be. After fighting this issue for the last couple of weeks, I almost crapped my pants. It definetely sounds like we are going down the same path as Brabus and hit the same issue. I forwarded the email to Beckmann and Krause and Beckmann was amazed that Braubus didn't figure out how to get the car to crank OEM style from the key. It is nice to know that the starter button is an easy option and my car will be done, but Beckmann and Krause are still loving the challenge to figure this out so that the car starts just as if it came from the factory with a V8.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
I'm with you... hurry up to Friday...

We'll have to start a different thread to discuss 'rear ends' in more
detail.....
The differntial will fit on the crossfire with no added work on body has the following part# A2203510405 but you will need the rear axle too, they have part#A2083500710 becuase the Crossfire rear axle will not fit! The next what you will move is the conector between rotor shaft and differntial.

regards V8 Max

Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 PM

Well hopfully today is the day! But I woke up this moringing to a very surprising email! Yesterday I sent Gerhard Schussler an email letting him know of my progress and that I could not get the engine to crank form the key and that to start we have to turn the key "on" and jump the starter. Gerhard is the owner of the one and only Brabus/Startech V8 Crossfire. Gerhard's email to me this morning morning stated his car also does not start from the key and that he turns the key on then hits the starter button that was installed where the cigarette lighter used to be. After fighting this issue for the last couple of weeks, I almost crapped my pants. It definetely sounds like we are going down the same path as Brabus and hit the same issue. I forwarded the email to Beckmann and Krause and Beckmann was amazed that Braubus didn't figure out how to get the car to crank OEM style from the key. It is nice to know that the starter button is an easy option and my car will be done, but Beckmann and Krause are still loving the challenge to figure this out so that the car starts just as if it came from the factory with a V8.
That's awesome! Can't believe that either. Pretty cool solution to the problem though if it comes to that.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Forum Regular

How about a biometric push button starter??? Gotta keep the thieves away somehow... Maybe a fold over panel with a numeric key sequence like in the Transporter...

Old 11-13-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMUSQUO
The differntial will fit on the crossfire with no added work on body has the following part# A2203510405 but you will need the rear axle too, they have part#A2083500710 becuase the Crossfire rear axle will not fit! The next what you will move is the conector between rotor shaft and differntial.

regards V8 Max
Thanks V8 MAX, I just responed to your PM and am glad you enjoyed your visit to the states and the SEMA show in Las Vegas. I am just back from my first test drive in the V8 Crossfire and all I can say is HOLY $HIT!!! What a difference!! I am about to upload some pictures and hopfully my video turned out.

So the a rear end from a C55 or CLK55 will bolt right in? And we should use the 55 axles and switch the drive flange from the four bolt to the Crossfire 3 bolt to hook up the drive shat? Do you know if the C55 or CLK55 has a posi rear end? I have seen that a quaife is available for that rear end.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just back from my first test drive in the V8 Crossfire and all I can say is HOLY $HIT!!! What a difference!! I am about to upload some pictures and hopfully my video turned out.
I can't wait to see some footage, congrats!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
I can't wait to see some footage, congrats!
FIRST DRVE!!

It was a good new bad news day. First the bad news. The new ECU somehow locked while we were programing it. Beckmann already has another on the way. Since it starts pretty much the same way the Brabus/Startech car does we decided it was time for a ride!!! I am uploading vido now and unfortunately my camera does not have sound. We NEED someone in Dallas to come and take some Video for me. I am posting the slient vieos anyway. I also took a normal picture of its first fillup

This is the engine running:

SORRY NO SOUND

YouTube - first start up

In this video Robert Krause is pulling it out of the shop and is noticing the trans seems to be slipping. Turns out I forgot to put four liters of trans fluid back in after the swap. but the engine needs to be running to do this properly.

YouTube - pulling out of shop

Jumping on it in a 40 zone

YouTube - jumping on it in a 40

Sorry for no sound but it sounds an a lot like this:

YouTube - Mercedes SLK 55 AMG exhaust sound (MUST hear!!!)

Driving impressions: OMG!!! I had to use a little less throttle to leave the light. the first time I did this the car jumped forward and the front of the car lifted while the back squatted. The torque is really amazing. It really gives you that slammed in the seat feel while your cheeks roll back. I let Robert Krause drive it next and he turned off the traction control and stabbed it from a roll the car took off while the back end stepped out to the left and then squirmed back back and forth looking for traction. Robert's reaction was "you can get yourself in some real trouble now". I took it for a long cruise in a 70mph zone and everything was just perfect. the car seem very normal when cruising but as soon as you touch the throttle you feel instant torque and hear a roar from the exhaust. I hope to find someone with a good video camera to take the next videos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
first fill up.jpg (303.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg
first fill up 2.jpg (307.7 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-13-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

driving while taking a video- in a "new" car.............. do it again!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 620 Likes on 422 Posts

Fly me back to Texas and I'll make a sound video for ya ...lol
Once again Congratulations !!!!

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary