Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Supercooler / heat exchanger

Old 02-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Supercooler / heat exchanger

this has been in the works for several months and will now see the light of day. first off, credit goes to waldig for the idea/design, this was all his idea and we are glad he asked us to produce it. we made a few tweaks here and there but the main idea is from his videos he posted with the how-to last fall. we have been running the supercooler since last october and is the mod that broke us into the consistant 11's (went 11's 4 out of 5 runs we have made since installed at 2 different tracks/conditions, the other run was a 12.0x).

i assume everyone has seen the videos so i'll just touch on the tweaks.
brackets are 3/4" thick and are consistantly bent on a industrial brake, TIG'd and are overkill strong

inlet/outlets tubes are bubble beaded to ensure a proper seal so no one leaks or sprays down the track

the radiator inlet/outlet tubes that come on the radiator are meticulously ground off, deburred, cleaned, sucked out and flush mounted before welding. the rad is then pressure tested to 30psi (far more then it will ever see on the car). any leaks, even those present only over 25psi are taken care of. the radiator has leaks from the factory and we correct those.

the supercooler has a 5/8 inlet and 3/4 outlet so there won't be any issues durring install as it matches up with the oem IC fluid lines. the inlet (now on the drivers side) hose is replaced from the hose junction by the passenger headlight to the supercooler. running the line to the drivers side is a 2-3 minute process since the bumper is already off the car at that point.

a new powersteering cooling line is included also to make room for the supercooler, our cai filter, and the grill to all fit properly. (not pictured yet, i'll zap pics of the new p/s line tomorrow when i make more up).

we finished 2 more of these today, one is going to Germany tomorrow, the other is here chilling

also big thanks to importlab for the installed pictures as i forgot to snap them last year when we installed ours.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
he1.jpg (388.3 KB, 180 views)
he3.jpg (346.2 KB, 101 views)
he7.jpg (141.3 KB, 170 views)
he8.jpg (123.1 KB, 196 views)
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Supercooler / heat exchanger

Well whadaya know. Bump for Needswings!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, you guys rock! Now I just have to save up for it!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

installing mine tomorrow!

thanks rob!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by j-fire
installing mine tomorrow!

thanks rob!

please zap a picture with both grills back on the car

Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Forum Regular

i sure will! i'd like to try and figure out a way to be able to see the NW logo all the time..... any ideas? don't want to take a rock to the cooler!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by j-fire
don't want to take a rock to the cooler!
Do not be a sissy...remove the grilles!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Do not be a sissy...remove the grilles!
ha ha. you suck. LOL!

"screw you guys.... i'm going home!"

maybe at the track i'll take em out.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another great product for our cars. Congrats Woody and Rob. Don't see it listed on line yet. How much?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 AM
She can ride with me ;)

No offense to Waldig, but is the preferred method of attaching the cooler still to use zip ties? I'm kinda hesitant about that. Are there some better mounting options?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Zip ties work fine. You could add brackets but that would further complicate what is already an easy mod.
The Cooler is nearly a perfect fit. Practically holds itself in place. The zip ties just keep it from moving around.

Last edited by tighed1; 06-16-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Yeah, I know. I'd still feel better if it was bolted down.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 AM

I'm rdy to order mine! I might as well throw in the Johnson pump as well... Keep us posted.......Thanx

Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: Supercooler / heat exchanger

Please allow me to introduce you to ZIP ties.

As with most of my projects they come from the greater world of Air conditioning as that pays my bills. The zip ties used are black and big.

Black, they are carbon like and are UV proof so they dont rot like white ones do and get brittle. If you put one around a beam Iam gonna tell you that my 200++ pound weight will not have a problem staying up with ONE.

Big , think of the zip tie hand cuffs, they will hold the radiator on with one of them and there are 4 used. Ill bet my car on it.

This is the second of four released designs that I have given to Rob, no I did not ask for ANY money. The Super cooler and the oil super separator are the first. Rob will be getting the next two out to increase your cars security (of operation) and massivly increase the bottom end torque without stress to the motor; soon as he gets off all the Danm emails from Woody. Seems that I told him he would be like Santa on the 24th...........

There are two more projects that are in the WOODY works, one to increase the airflow of his manifolds BY 40%. Iam enjoying that one as Rob does not know yet how that is possible, but it is all in the Physics. After he knows; Iam reasonably confident that he will put that into the works / production too, yippie.

Lastly for now at least, I have solved the leaning-out issues and currently working to get our F/A issues under control so that we can be more consistant and gain a few H/P at the same time. Have to say this is all so far from the stresses of the day that I have rarely had so much fun playing in the engineering sand box. Heck I dont have schedules and NO PROGRAM OFFICE - whats not to like.

See you guyz at the Dragon.............

Did I mention that Ill have my hood opened by then for all to see, and or comment on..................WEEEEEeeeee somebody stop me.................( It will be operational, final paint / painting is dependent on my determination of some optical issues that are driving the overall look ). Remember function before form for me.

WOODY

Last edited by waldig; 02-24-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
Remember function before form for me.
WOODY
I have never seen a wooden deal pedal look so sexy

Wonder whats up your sleeve for the intake mani's...i have a little idea im working on myself...

Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile Re: Supercooler / heat exchanger

If you have ever seen something like the instruction on a bottom of a bottle on how to empty it, and said that is obvious; then youll know where Iam coming from. I laugh at my self cause it not always so easy, but then once and again it is.

The super CAI intake that I showed at the MIR meet ( gotta do that again) is such an example. I got 35 HP on the down low, I hope to hook with it this year and the help of another manufacture really turn in much better numbers at the proving grounds ( 1/4 mile). There is much more to be done to the car for performance without killing the drivability.

Woody, 240xxxxx - looking for your ideas too.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Will this work for the C32 as well??

Please tell me YES!!!!!!!!!!

Jm

Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by tom2112
No offense to Waldig, but is the preferred method of attaching the cooler still to use zip ties? I'm kinda hesitant about that. Are there some better mounting options?
Almost all Aftermarket Cooler kits (oil coolers, etc.) come with an installation kit. The installation kit is a bunch of zip ties and some rubber spacers.

Our cooler is zipped and bolted, but I'm kinda **** with that stuff.

You'll deffinately be fine with the ties.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM

nom nom nom

Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Thanks for the reassurances fellas. And like I said before, no offense to Woody. Keep those great ideas coming. I just don't like zip-tying things to my car. Zip ties just seem so very jerry-rigged to me.

I know, the zip ties will work just fine, but I will still know there's zip ties down there! Hmmm... I'll have to fab up a bracket and bolt it in. I'll sleep better at night.

Quick Reply: Supercooler / heat exchanger