Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

LET 185mm water pulley failure (WATCH OUT)

Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LET 185mm water pulley failure (WATCH OUT)

I was driving back from my girlfriends house when this happened. I was on a long straight road leading up to my apartment whenIi tried making a hard right turn at decently high rate of speed. When I was originally turning with one hand, but the steering wheel was super tight and hard to turn so I eased onto the brakes and turned hard with both arms. For a second there I was afraid it wouldn't turn and I would have to take extreme emergency measures. I didn't hear the initial break of the pulley or when exactly it gave way because I had my radio up loud. I only noticed once I tried to make the turn. I originaly thought just my power steering went out, but once I parked it and popped the hood I seen my belt totaly destroyed. After seeing the belt my eyes went straight to the water pump pulley and sure enough it was desintegrated. I do not know the extent of the damage other than the belt and pulley as I had no time to further investigate. I am not sharing this story to bash LET, but to worn others because this could have had disasterous results. Anyone who has an LET pulley of any size needs to ask for a new and improved water pump pulley ASAP and be careful until then.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LET 185mm water pulley failure (WATCH OUT)

Actually this is old news.
I hope everything else is all right. I am sure if it was more catistrophic even with the radio up you might have known.
Same thing happened to me. Get with Jerry, he will make it good on the pulley, You need the new style. You will have to get a new belt and there are much cheaper resorses than the dealer price of 105.00.
Summit racing has the best price. About 50 bucks
Didn't all your warning lights go on?
PS at least your happened near the garage, mine blew apart in the middle of no where, 104 Miles from home ad to the cost a near $500.00 tow!!!!!!

Last edited by Montana Crossfire; 11-10-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 AM

When you get the time you should look at all the enties on this subject.
Even with the problem and I say this hoping NOT to open a can of worms, I still think the 185mm is the way to go.
Mike

Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Montana Crossfire
Actually this is old news.
I hope everything else is all right. I am sure if it was more catistrophic even with the radio up you might have known.
Same thing happened to me. Get with Jerry, he will make it good on the pulley, You need the new style. You will have to get a new belt and there are much cheaper resorses than the dealer price of 105.00.
Summit racing has the best price. About 50 bucks
Didn't all your warning lights go on?
Actually the only light on was the battery light oddly enough.

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 11-10-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Actually That is the only one that will come on right away...

Old 11-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was it your replacement water pulley that failed or the original one? Wow am I glad I am running a supercharger pulley, this has happened to a lot of people. I can not believe everyone has been fortunate enough to escape any major damage from this.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 AM

IIRC, LET’s initial recall was applicable only to the 181mm pulleys.

www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27298

Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If your water pump took it like mine did the pump insert for the na is the same and I swapped the pump into the srt casting, took a bit of work but it was faster to do that and it was $100 cheaper.

Sorry to hear about the woopsie, everyone must take the time to check for the thicker pulley, should be about 1/8 in thick wall or more.

Woody.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 AM

They do make a thicker one for the 185. Its bullet proof. Call Jerry.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
They do make a thicker one for the 185. Its bullet proof. Call Jerry.
Far from Bullet Proof.
Now the Factory design is bullet proof!
Now I am hearing "boy I am glad I have a super charger pulley" Why? Now that the only problem with the LET system has been fixed the only differance
is you barely have over half the boost!of the 185mm
From what I have heard from you in the past was, that your still looking for more power.
Yes the truth is the only (RECALL) was on the 181mm pulley but Jerry will have no problem replacing the 185 water pump for you and then everything will be once again Honky Dory

Last edited by Montana Crossfire; 11-10-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Was it your replacement water pulley that failed or the original one? Wow am I glad I am running a supercharger pulley, this has happened to a lot of people. I can not believe everyone has been fortunate enough to escape any major damage from this.
It was the original pulley that came with the kit, not the "upgraded" pulley. I did contact Jerry and he said he has none in stock right now and is waiting on a new shipment.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Montana Crossfire
Far from Bullet Proof.
Now the Factory design is bullet proof!
Now I am hearing "boy I am glad I have a super charger pulley" Why? Now that the only problem with the LET system has been fixed the only differance
is you barely have over half the boost!of the 185mm
From what I have heard from you in the past was, that your still looking for more power.
Yes the truth is the only (RECALL) was on the 181mm pulley but Jerry will have no problem replacing the 185 water pump for you and then everything will be once again Honky Dory
less boost but we run faster times

Old 11-10-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
It was the original pulley that came with the kit, not the "upgraded" pulley. I did contact Jerry and he said he has none in stock right now and is waiting on a new shipment.
Let me know how it goes, I hope everything on your car is okay. That really sucks that happened, hopefully you can get it back up and running soon.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:55 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you guys are all missing the bigger picture here!!! This sounds like a bogus story to me. I can not believe that Blue has a GIRLFRIEND!!! Forget this so called defective pulley and show me evidence of this alleged girlfriend~ Just Kidding buddy, sorry to hear about this! Good luck on getting it fixed, we all know Jerry will stand behind it. I am sure after I spank 240M3SRT at the track this weekend, he may just send you his as a loner. LOL

Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by BLKFIN
I think you guys are all missing the bigger picture here!!! This sounds like a bogus story to me. I can not believe that Blue has a GIRLFRIEND!!! Forget this so called defective pulley and show me evidence of this alleged girlfriend~ Just Kidding buddy, sorry to hear about this! Good luck on getting it fixed, we all know Jerry will stand behind it. I am sure after I spank 240M3SRT at the track this weekend, he may just send you his as a loner. LOL
Listen, we have a helmet clause written into our contract for me referring to her as my girlfriend, OK! I wear the helmet with those cool tinted eye protectors like LT, and she agrees to let me hold her hand in private.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Blkfin, you need to come race me next season. We have the same mods except my is the SL55 intake and the 181mm pulley. We can do a heads up test.........ooops, you loose! (crap, I forgot about tha manifold thingie).

MikeR

Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
Listen, we have a helmet clause written into our contract for me referring to her as my girlfriend, OK! I wear the helmet with those cool tinted eye protectors like LT, and she agrees to let me hold her hand in private.

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

Originally Posted by MikeR
Blkfin, you need to come race me next season. We have the same mods except my is the SL55 intake and the 181mm pulley. We can do a heads up test.........ooops, you loose! (crap, I forgot about tha manifold thingie).

MikeR
You better watch out...I have a few things up my sleeve. I will get a baseline this weekend and we will go from there! I think that there may be a few SRT6's at the track on Saturday. I know 240 is ready to race!!!

Last edited by BLKFIN; 11-10-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Are the 181 and 185 water pump pulley's the same size? Nevermind, Jerry called and said they were not the same. I would been happy to send the one I have not put on my daughter's SRT.

Last edited by RMADERMAN; 11-10-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope you guys have lots of fun. We want to see some real good numbers so no slackin off.

Blue, sorry about your pulley. LET's website lists the upgraded WP pulley with both the 185 and 181 kits. So it is just a matter of having them in stock. Hope it is soon for you. I think I will go do a drawing of mine and make a 'herky mother' spare. If you have one, you never need it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

MikeR

Quick Reply: LET 185mm water pulley failure (WATCH OUT)