Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SL 55 intake guys come in

Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SL 55 intake guys come in

I was wondering how many people here have done this and how superior is it to other set ups if at all. Where did you get the set up and what did it cost you? Any regrets so far?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SL 55 intake guys come in

Originally Posted by ws6vert
I was wondering how many people here have done this and how superior is it to other set ups if at all. Where did you get the set up and what did it cost you? Any regrets so far?
I might have been the first one to put this on an SRT6. Got it with ecu+pullies+SL55 intake package from SpeedInnovation. Since I got it as a package, can't really tell you what difference it made on its own.

No issues. Will be taking it off though and replace with Needwings intake.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular

I too put it on with replacing the whole intake which as a package made a very noticable increase. Mine will not be coming off if that is what you are asking. Works very well. I think I paid about $70 but don't remember for sure. All you have to do is compare the two side by side (stock and SL55) and you can instantly see how the stock Y is very restrictive.

Steve

Old 02-01-2008, 03:13 PM

why are you swithcing to the needwings intake? does it give you better results?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have complete SL55 with K&N drop in filters and the whole setup cost my $325. I didn't run the car when stock but with the intake I ran 12.8 @109 out here in vegas which is AWESOME. Just tonight I floored it from a stop to beat traffic and the car fishtailed and spun the tires all the way to 60mph when I let off.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:41 PM

We have this setup in stock if you are interested in purchasing it, just check out our website!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:52 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Here is a link to my SL55 Intake mod.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=20009

Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a great time with the SL55 setup, but I still think it's not as good as the needswings intake. I ran a 12.72 with the needswings intake mod alone. The times are tough to compare, too many variables. Driver, track, temp, elevation. One thing I did notice in your video was no whine from your car. Not sure how good or bad that is, but I would say it's definately getting more air. At first I didn't want to change the look of the engine, but when I opened the hood at the track most wanted to see the supercharger. That and the intake got the most "awww" factor. The rare chance you get to race another SRT-6 at the track, I bet you want to make sure you beat them. I haven't had one person that has actually seen one before, much less at the track. Then for them to know what's factory or close to the factory look is one in a million. The majority still think they are mopar powered. If it's performance take the needwings or build your own, just bring it out front by the grill. Or for looks and some performance take the SL55. Just my opinion. The nice thing is I can swap my stock one in fifteen minutes and off to the dealer I go.
"The Strip" is a nice track. Be sure to see the big dogs there this weekend for national time trials. That's real racing.
Cruzinquick

Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Any A/M intake that eliminates the stock "Choke Points" is going to give your SRT much needed performance gains.

The stock engines can only move so much air - after that you need to move on to pulleys and exhaust modifications etc...

It all boils down to time tested consumer marketing points; price, appeal and brand loyalty.

Those seem to be the major points I see discussed on this forum.

I haven't seen proof that any single A/M intake will out perform the other.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 02-01-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my SL55 "Y" with hose's devievered for a little less than $100, then around $30 for some hardware & adapting hose's. Very noticeable gains & still looks OEM, here's a link to my post : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=19780 , here's a few pic's

Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
That's a great time with the SL55 setup, but I still think it's not as good as the needswings intake. I ran a 12.72 with the needswings intake mod alone. The times are tough to compare, too many variables. Driver, track, temp, elevation. One thing I did notice in your video was no whine from your car. Not sure how good or bad that is, but I would say it's definately getting more air. At first I didn't want to change the look of the engine, but when I opened the hood at the track most wanted to see the supercharger. That and the intake got the most "awww" factor. The rare chance you get to race another SRT-6 at the track, I bet you want to make sure you beat them. I haven't had one person that has actually seen one before, much less at the track. Then for them to know what's factory or close to the factory look is one in a million. The majority still think they are mopar powered. If it's performance take the needwings or build your own, just bring it out front by the grill. Or for looks and some performance take the SL55. Just my opinion. The nice thing is I can swap my stock one in fifteen minutes and off to the dealer I go.
"The Strip" is a nice track. Be sure to see the big dogs there this weekend for national time trials. That's real racing.
Cruzinquick
What was your 60' on your 12.7x? What was the track elevation? I guarantee I can get my car down to the 12.6x's just by throwing traction into the mix; my 12.8 was with a 2.0 60', and no more "power mods". The track out here in vegas is a great facility but VERY poorly prepped(if at all) for open track nights and if you corrected my time to sealevel it would be a 12.4 already.

As far as intakes go I would never buy the needswings as I like to drive the car in the rain.........and have to since it's my daily driver. I wouldn't want my airfilter sticking out rite where all the water is coming in personally. Since the SL55 intake flows enough air for a 496hp/516lb ft torque blown V8 I know it will never choke down the little v6 in our cars. Like mentioned before though it's all a matter of preference and to each his own.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Forum Regular

Steve, did you only change out the 'Y' or the entire system.
Air boxes etc???

Old 02-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Forum Regular
Smile Re: SL 55 intake guys come in

I installed the complete sl 55 amg intake system.I paid $ 440 dollars which included both k&N filters.My butt dyno says it made a big difference,tough to say because i had my ecu flashed at the same time.I wish there was a dyno in our area. Good luck on which ever one you decide on. ILLCYA

Old 02-03-2008, 11:58 PM

I did this too. Great gains for little money.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by roncosrt6
Steve, did you only change out the 'Y' or the entire system.
Air boxes etc???
Just the "Y" and hose's. I also have K&N's, I think the reason I got such good gain is because with the RENNtech kit my S/C was starving for air. I just wouldn't think a car that wasn't running a bigger pulley & a modded ECU would see much gains, but that's just my opinion. I could be wrong .

Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I got my SL55 "Y" with hose's devievered for a little less than $100, then around $30 for some hardware & adapting hose's. Very noticeable gains & still looks OEM, here's a link to my post : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=19780 , here's a few pic's

Where di you get it for less than a $100?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ws6vert
Where di you get it for less than a $100?
I got them from : (oempartsdirect with the part #1130900129). I had emailed them to make sure that the "Y" came with both hose's attached.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:49 AM

I dyno'd with the Y-Only on a STOCK car and it lost ~10hp (with K&N's).

BUT, I used just the 'Y', not the tubes attached to it...I think the stock tubes choke it down quite a bit.

I also think the shape of the stock 'Y' help force the air into the blower better - but it shouldn't matter because it is not boosted yet at that point.

If I end up with another intake, it will likely be the Y-Pipe WITH tubes, like Steve's....because it looks stock and no worries about water intrusion.

SQ

Old 02-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Forum Regular

Steve, I see you added tubing to extend 'Y' to fit to airbox.
Does this allow you to place airbox in original stock SRT6 airbox
location? I read other thread that modifications had to
be made in the placement of SL55 air box? Installation by Brain.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by roncosrt6
Steve, I see you added tubing to extend 'Y' to fit to airbox.
Does this allow you to place airbox in original stock SRT6 airbox
location? I read other thread that modifications had to
be made in the placement of SL55 air box? Installation by Brain.
I believe Steve used the SL55 Y Pipe and extension inlet tubes ONLY, and kept the SRT Air Boxes.

SQ

Quick Reply: SL 55 intake guys come in