Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

srt6 3" CAI sneak peak

Old 10-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Default srt6 3" CAI sneak peak

still working on dialing in the finished color but i should have the first few going out next week (when all the filters arrive). the horn relocate bracket will be black so it isn't an eye catcher also.

3" 6061 aluminum mandrel bent with a special ordered sized k&n cone on the end and all necessary install hardware.

i'll be back at norwalk dragway next monday and then dyno soon after to finalize the testing now that we have a production piece without all the welded together sections so it should flow a lot better. first impressions of the car is very good. noticeable power increase and a very apparent supercharger whine for you to hear (not sure if the car behind you will hear the supercharger but you can't miss it while driving).

who owns this website?? i need to contact them soon please.

thanks,
rob
www.needswings.com

one of these pipes will be at SEMA as well, check it out if your there!

Last edited by NeedsWings; 10-03-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: srt6 3" CAI sneak peak

I want one...can I order one yet?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: srt6 3" CAI sneak peak

Looks great Rob!
Can't wait to see results.
Good stuff.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
who owns this website?? i need to contact them soon please.

thanks,
rob
Contact mightyjlr - he is the owner/administrator for the site.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paypay or Credit Card standing by.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! I'm down for one. Is there much modification required to get the tubing though the radiator core support? What price point are you looking at?

Old 10-03-2007, 02:55 PM

i'm in if the price is reasonable! looks great!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 PM

Looks impressive! I'm anxious to see how it does on the track and on the dyno!

Any reason why you went to one as opposed to the original two? I understand two would cost more to develop and more for the end-user, but just thought I'd ask.

Interested...!

SQ

Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Looks impressive! I'm anxious to see how it does on the track and on the dyno!

Any reason why you went to one as opposed to the original two? I understand two would cost more to develop and more for the end-user, but just thought I'd ask.

Interested...!

SQ
There is only 1 throttle body. Simple is better here. I'm sure the MB designers were looking a lot at aesthetics rather than efficiency.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:06 PM

I made one that allowed for the MAF sensor to be in line with tube on my limited. I didn't trip any codes right away and everything was fine. Over time I started running rich and it tripped a code and every time i reset it I would trip again. People on the MB forums are have the same problems with the VRP carbon fiber air box built by victor it is almost the same as the renntech but unless you had an ECU tune the problem couldn't be corrected. Have you tripped any codes??

Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 PM

Looks cool. Since the filter is so low, is there a concern that water get in through the grill?

Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

1 pipe versus 2...
the ID of the 3" aluminum tubing is more then 230% (i think it was 232% when i measured/calculated it) the area of the OEM intake along with not being able to feasibly route another tube on the driver side. i feel this one tube is more then we can flow at this point. we used quality materials to make sure the hoses will not swell/collapse.

check engine light...
no cel's, had a version of this on the car for ~ 3 months now, the air sensor on the srt6's are after the tb/sc/ic and do not come into play with this intake.

water...
were drawing fresh air from the same location as the stock intake does, maybe a few inches lower but same scenario. i have not seen any water buildup anywhere under the grill and have checked numerous times after driving in the rain. no problems while washing the car either, just dont grab the power-washer and spray upwards thru the grill for extended period of time, basically you would have to try to get the filter wet.

i believe the gas mileage went up also but ill have to do more testing before i claim that. how would you guys like the test done? i can make the expressway loop with the cruise control on one night at 4 am once with the factory intake and then with the new intake while filling up the gas tank between runs. i dont have mythbusters gas usage computers so speak up on how you want this conducted since i don't want to make a hour trip twice for nothing not to mention the mileage on the car.

warranty...
as with all the products we produce this will carry our 3 yr warranty against manufacturer defects, most things on it will be lifetime (if ya happen to mess something up and you send me a polite email ill hook you up 99.999% of the time so long as you weren't being an *** and smacking it with a hammer, etc)...

finish...
please let me know if i should have the batch polished, powdercoated, anodized, ect.. and what color you would prefer (i'd like to stay away from black due to heat soaking the aluminum pipe). we were a little dark on the one in the pics above for matching the silver on the windshield border/exterior trim and engine cover but can dial that color in if thats what everyone wants.

install...
will be a 1-2 beer job, so long as the car isn't hot you should be able to fly right thru it, i will make up a how-to for the install as well.

clamps...
why worm gear instead of t-bolt's...
t bolts while they look nice wouldn't work in this situation, well you could use them in 2 of the 5 clamps but i would be afraid that customers would overtighten them and crush the aluminum tubing. the worm gear clamps i picked are very strong and i was unable to strip them out while using a nut driver on them, all the other ones i tested stripped out very easily and i dont want you guys to have to deal with bullsh*t so i feel its worth it for the extra few dollars it costs.

pricing...
still to be determined by the cost of the finishing (powdercoating/polishing/ect) but i'm shooting for ~ $500, the first batch that go out will be sold at a discount on the condition that the customers do a write up on how they like/dislike them (i want a few reviews for our website on them).

let me know what i missed.

thanks,
rob

Old 10-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
finish...
please let me know if i should have the batch polished, powdercoated, anodized, ect...

thanks,
rob
Whichever coating/color allows the air to stay as cool as possible.

I would think polishing, although it looks great, is the worst choice as it will soak heat.

Powdercoating is probably the way to go, possibly even some sort of crinkle/hammered finish although that wont look as nice (but will cool better).

$500 isn't cheap by any means but I'm sure a few people will pay it.

SQ

Old 10-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SQ
You get what you pay for. After having some other Needswings parts on my SRT-4 I can personally attest to the top quality and performance of his products.

If you think $500 is high, try pricing out intakes for SLK32s and C32s or any other MB for that matter. Look at what RennTech wants for there Airbox for the SLK320 (http://www.renntechmercedes.com/r170_pricelist.pdf). Yes, the ECU is $995 the ECU and Airbox is $2,495, so that means the airbox is $1,500 and only adds 10 HP over the ECU.

You have to keep in mind that you aren't dealing with a Neon or Mustang here. Benz parts cost $$$. $500 is cheap compared to the Euro Tuners out there.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by NeverEnough

SQ
You get what you pay for. After having some other Needswings parts on my SRT-4 I can personally attest to the top quality and performance of his products.

If you think $500 is high, try pricing out intakes for SLK32s and C32s or any other MB for that matter. Look at what RennTech wants for there Airbox for the SLK320 (http://www.renntechmercedes.com/r170_pricelist.pdf). Yes, the ECU is $995 the ECU and Airbox is $2,495, so that means the airbox is $1,500 and only adds 10 HP over the ECU.

You have to keep in mind that you aren't dealing with a Neon or Mustang here. Benz parts cost $$$. $500 is cheap compared to the Euro Tuners out there.
Wow...I didn't mean it like you took it and responded to it.

What I'm saying is that it isn't something that every single SRT owner will buy (like filters, pads, etc).

$500 is not a bad deal for a performance mod with good craftsmanship - I paid almost $350 for my Cummins and would do it again.

Again - you read me wrong, not saying he needs to lower his price. I truly appreciate everything that anyone is doing for aftermarket on these cars and would be one of the last people to tell someone they are too pricey. I may not be able to afford all of the goodies, but I won't complain about the price.

SQ

Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 AM

count me in as well, i want one!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:05 AM

This CAI looks Great. Will it work on a non supercharged crossfire.
If so put me down for one.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 AM

Nice job! This does look great! I am in for one as well as long as it produces some decent gains! Is it possible if we do a group buy we can get it a little cheaper? I'm not complaining about the price, just wondering if there was any way it could be lower as far as the manufacturing side of things...

Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 AM

What are your expected power gains?

I'll be a great product if it frees up a lot restrictions in the stock intake path. Any benefits from the "cold" air being pulled in will be negated the instant the air gets compressed in the supercharger, but i'm sure most people are aware of that.

Is the K&N filter that you'll be using an oiled or dry filter?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 AM

I'm interested if there are proven gains. Would it be possible to buy without the filter? I think I'd rather go with an AEM dryflo filter, I'd rather not deal with the oil involved with the K&N.

Quick Reply: srt6 3" CAI sneak peak