Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

So, is it a general consensus?

Nobody, has anything bad to say about the Sprint Booster?

Hell, those guys should use this thread for advertising...

Old 09-22-2006, 02:00 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Wink Re: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

For those of you who have recently inquired about getting another group purchase, I found this guy on e-bay. I bought mine for $250.00 including delivery. He takes paypal. This might save you the time of coordinating the group purchase. If when you click on the link it doesn't work, just key it onto you browser address.

Here's the link to his site. www.slkfans.com

Last edited by FP; 09-22-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Default Negitives on the booster

OK, The negative side that I can see is:

Throttle is more sensitive, so driving style need to be adjusted. The torque will continue to build, even when I am laying off partially on the gas, (before the S.B. if I backed off on the gas part way, the car would start to slow). Now it is still pulling hard, so I need to fully remove the foot from the pedal. So far with my limited time behind the wheel, I do not notice any difference on full open throttle, but there is a BIG difference from 1/8 - 7/8 throttle.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Negitives on the booster

Originally Posted by SACAMG
OK, The negative side that I can see is:

Throttle is more sensitive, so driving style need to be adjusted. The torque will continue to build, even when I am laying off partially on the gas, (before the S.B. if I backed off on the gas part way, the car would start to slow). Now it is still pulling hard, so I need to fully remove the foot from the pedal. So far with my limited time behind the wheel, I do not notice any difference on full open throttle, but there is a BIG difference from 1/8 - 7/8 throttle.
well that's where it was needed, I hit full throttle a little less than 1/2 way to the floor.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Forum Regular

Yes, it seems that when you are letting off of the gas there is a slight little blip of the throttle. I think this is because the curve is not linear any more. It may arc slightly. I like it all!

And yes, you do have to relearn the car again. I have been bucking it like crazy due to the fast action of the throttle. You do need to feather it with a six speed.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Forum Regular

Too bad the S and W switch on the auto trans selector did not have the same effect as the SB. Would of been nice to go to S and engage the SB and go to W and back to normal.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Forum Regular

That's one switch that would never be used. Once you go Sprint Booster, you will never go back!

Old 09-22-2006, 07:08 PM

C32 here - I used my winter mode today in the rain. First time I've ever used it, and maybe a glimpse into why MB made it the way they did. Almost undrivable in the rain in sport mode with the sprint booster - the esp was constantly kicking in.

I bet even w mode in the snow would be a pain in the ***. I drove it last winter (with snows it was drivable in w mode), storing it this year.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hurray! Got it installed...use the Phillips two-screw removal suggestion, 5 minutes, and off I went...(husband did it...I won't take credit)...and wow...what a great mod!

Love this! Thanks "Lord" for all your work on this!

Old 09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still waiting on a email from the seller for another group buy, just be patient guys.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

GolferGal,

Glad to hear you are you are enjoying it.

Biggest key to using this thing safely is to really lighten your foot, especially during inclement weather. The other key would be to make sure you are not still driving on the crappy stock Continental tires as they are for Summer only and their wet traction sucks.

I've learned I can drive exactly the way I did before just by learning to touch the pedal really lightly.

I have an Auto... so your experience may be more sensitive with the manual.

It would also depend on how 'tight' your clutch is and if you have learned the 'sweet spot' for clutch engagement.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Forum Regular

I am not a lead-footed driver...and the car does not seem to be too aggressive for my driving style...I do have the stock tires, and at this time, that's what I'm going to have to live with...and yes, we do have rain in the NW. So, I'll have to be extra careful and I can always take the booster off this winter if I feel the car is not tracking well.

My commute is easy and light traffic.

In anything more than a light drizzle, I'm driving our Jeep Cherokee!

Old 09-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
GolferGal,

Glad to hear you are you are enjoying it.

Biggest key to using this thing safely is to really lighten your foot, especially during inclement weather. The other key would be to make sure you are not still driving on the crappy stock Continental tires as they are for Summer only and their wet traction sucks.

I've learned I can drive exactly the way I did before just by learning to touch the pedal really lightly.

I have an Auto... so your experience may be more sensitive with the manual.

It would also depend on how 'tight' your clutch is and if you have learned the 'sweet spot' for clutch engagement.
I have the continentals on mine and they were an upgrade to all season instead of summer only. I thought the standard tires were michelins.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Talking Re: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Just got my installed...went with the nut washer route. What a pain getting the freaking washer out. Should have taken Upstate's advice.

I took the car out for a test drive with my four year old. I thought he was going to get whiplash! I tried to feather the throttle as much as I could, but the car just surged with the slightest tap on the pedal. I also reset the gas pedal before installing. Not sure if the ECU was adjusting for the new input due to the reset which could have made it overly sensitive. After driving it through the city and on the freeway, the throttle mellowed out quite a bit.

Overall, this is a great mod. Thanks again Jody for putting the group buy together!

PS The only concern I have is...Do you think the ECU will learn and start to compensate for the SB input? That is, after a month will it develop a lagged response...time will tell.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for about a month and have no throttle delay. Runs the same as the day I installed it. Best mod for the money.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hansolo94583
PS The only concern I have is...Do you think the ECU will learn and start to compensate for the SB input? That is, after a month will it develop a lagged response...time will tell.
Perhaps, the people that was part of the first group buy can provide input on this.

Got mine installed this morning too by removing the side panel as Upstate suggested and was a fairly easy process. IMO it could be a little bit more aggressive though it's a big improvement compared to not having the SB. There's a few times driving today where I punched it and got the same lag. I'll try doing the reset next time and see if it makes a difference.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:07 PM

I have mine for over a month, no lagged response.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Biggest key to using this thing safely is to really lighten your foot.
Gee OK ! I'll just tell all the other drivers at ButtonWillow Raceway on Oct 14th + 15th that I'll be doing just that. Oh wait, you're talking about daily drivers !!!

If this SB performs as mentioned in the previous posts and your analysis of the product, it should change all my shift points at every road track I run with the car. Now I'm interested to see if this little thing will help my track times. Before I was just interested in seeing if it worked !

I'll make our arrangements before I fly back to LA... Unfortunately I won't be able to test it till the car rolls off the trailer at the track on Oct 14th... It's a little tough driving that car on the freeways of LA unless I want to be broadcast on "America's Craziest Police Pursuit Videos".

Cheers from Charleston, SC (for the time being).

Old 09-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HDDP
Biggest key to using this thing safely is to really lighten your foot.
Gee OK ! I'll just tell all the other drivers at ButtonWillow Raceway on Oct 14th + 15th that I'll be doing just that. Oh wait, you're talking about daily drivers !!!

If this SB performs as mentioned in the previous posts and your analysis of the product, it should change all my shift points at every road track I run with the car. Now I'm interested to see if this little thing will help my track times. Before I was just interested in seeing if it worked !

I'll make our arrangements before I fly back to LA... Unfortunately I won't be able to test it till the car rolls off the trailer at the track on Oct 14th... It's a little tough driving that car on the freeways of LA unless I want to be broadcast on "America's Craziest Police Pursuit Videos".

Cheers from Charleston, SC (for the time being).
I sure wouldn't mind seeing that car chase! Would be some good advertisement for Daimler too, hehe!

Old 09-24-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Iamfink2
I have the continentals on mine and they were an upgrade to all season instead of summer only. I thought the standard tires were michelins.
Same here...

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!