Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6

Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
lol

Nice!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 AM

You know what? I have to be honest; I just looked at the pictures again, and If I opened up the box and pulled these out just as they are in that picture above, I would be drooling on and around the general vicinity of these things. I really don't think there is a need to put anything on top. They might look too busy if you try to jam lettering between 6 protruding bolts. On the stock units, the bolts were recessed, which provides for a more factory look which works better with the lettering. These are definitely more custom looking and no matter what you put on top, they will still say "my car's faster than yours".

Old 09-06-2008, 11:53 AM

I would like mine to say SuperCharged.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you mock up one with the supercharged to see how it would look? Just like eleventeen suggested, it might look a lil too busy.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:08 PM

juust the way they are is fine with me, except I would like mine powdercoated gloss black if possible?

Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

So, are you still 1 short of 15?

Les

Old 09-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

ok, back from teflon coating and back to the flow bench.

quick recap...
stock pass side manifold flowed 255-260cfm
our new pas side manifold before the teflon coating did 455-460cfm
after teflon coating 480-485cfm

so we picked up 25 more cfm with the coating, fantastic!
the teflon coating cost us $100 for the pair. this does 2 things, well 3 things...

1 teflon = slippery = more cfm = more kick in the chest when you push the go pedal.
2 teflon is tinted with gunmetal color in pics below but can be tinted the light silver color we do the CAI's in, i imaging white/black and other shades between would be easy for them but i dont know how elaborate they can get if you say you want john deer green, or cranberry. so the teflon solves our finish to the product, it coats it and makes it nice and pretty.
3. it coats the aluminum to prevent oxidation = the expensive part you bought should outlast the car.

could these be purchased without the teflon coating? sure if you really really want it that way but to powdercoat them would be $20 cheaper then teflon to get done on these. I'll buy 25cfm for $20 as often as i can. this makes it a no braner for me unless yuo own your own powdercoating/anodizing/chrome shop/ect.. the only scenario i see would be if you wanted to hand polish them to look like glass. more power to you if you have enough time for that but we will nto be offering that service at this time. if it were polished you would still want to use some sort of clearcoat to protect the raw aluminum once they are polished.

1 x 1/8 npt bung is welded into the pass side manifold tube for use with a boost sensor or AIT sensor you whatever you want. there will be a plug in it incase you dont use it.

ill be sending off pm's to everyone on the list later tonight. they will ship as completed, im not sure if it will be one batch of 15 or 3 batches of 5 yet, depends on how much material we can grab this week. we will need a partial deposit on these manifolds in the $500 range. if anyone needs to work different arraingements out with us thats fine, please pm me. i do have deposits from a couple of you guys already so we are good on that. if you wanted to pay in full thats fine also but not needed yet at this point.

we're running out for dinner but here are some pictures for you and ill be back on later. we had a CAI tube, both new intake manifolds and a set of valve covers all teflon coated with gunmetal tint togather (the gunmetal ypipe is already on the car, hence not in the picture). i hope to get them installed w/in the next few days.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
im005128e.jpg (476.2 KB, 178 views)
IM005132e.jpg (305.2 KB, 129 views)
IM005133e.jpg (395.0 KB, 91 views)
im005136e.jpg (456.8 KB, 201 views)
IM005144e.jpg (324.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 09-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to be throwing stones, but isnt teflon on the soft side and subject to scratching? I am used to seeing hard anodized parts for long lasting wear on rifle parts. They do teflon coating but it isnt a durable. The parts look GREAT though and the flow numbers are pretty impressive. Look forward to seeing the dyno numbers with the slickery new parts.

MikeR

Old 09-08-2008, 06:26 PM

I'm not sure if one effects the other so correct me if this doesn't matter or make sense, but I was told by Jerry (LET) with the 185 pulley that I was close to the maximum amount of boost that our ecu can adjust for. Adding these manifolds I'm thinking would increase boost and probably take me past the operating level of the ecu. Would a map clamp fix this? And if so, where would I get one for our cars?

Not trying to hijack this thread so if anybody has an indepth answer, please start a new thread. Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
I'm not sure if one effects the other so correct me if this doesn't matter or make sense, but I was told by Jerry (LET) with the 185 pulley that I was close to the maximum amount of boost that our ecu can adjust for. Adding these manifolds I'm thinking would increase boost and probably take me past the operating level of the ecu. Would a map clamp fix this? And if so, where would I get one for our cars?

Not trying to hijack this thread so if anybody has an indepth answer, please start a new thread. Thanks
I believe that someone (a lot smarter than me) mentioned earlier in this thread (somewhere) that the increased flow would actually decrease boost. Never fear though, the decreased boost comes with the major bonus of much increased air flow, which will make a net gain of much more power even at the lower boost.

That said, Rob has indicated that most people (those with pulleys and CAI's) are gonna want to get their ECU tuned at about the same time they put these plenums on. You run a risk of running lean with this much flow, and that's a no-no.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Rob:

I vote for making the teflon coating the same color as you cold air intake. That way they will match.

Also, is there a way you could have the visible welds smoothed/cleaned up, particularly the ones on the forward curves - before coating? I know that seems a bit nit-picky, but your CAI is so pretty, I don't want those welds to make it look all Frankenstein.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by tom2112
Rob:

I vote for making the teflon coating the same color as you cold air intake. That way they will match.

Also, is there a way you could have the visible welds smoothed/cleaned up, particularly the ones on the forward curves - before coating? I know that seems a bit nit-picky, but your CAI is so pretty, I don't want those welds to make it look all Frankenstein.
Wow, and here I thought the welds looked pretty professional.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
Not to be throwing stones, but isnt teflon on the soft side and subject to scratching? I am used to seeing hard anodized parts for long lasting wear on rifle parts. They do teflon coating but it isnt a durable. The parts look GREAT though and the flow numbers are pretty impressive. Look forward to seeing the dyno numbers with the slickery new parts.

MikeR
im sure it would be able to be scratched, please take your time installing so you dont bump one of them with a wrench or anyhting else. once installed i dont forsee anything comming in contact with them other then air.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6

boost shouldnt change

Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You mean I should use plastic utensils when I cook my eggs on the manifold after each run?

Sorry, attempt at humor. I see these manifolds in my future.

Les

Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 PM

Rob:

sure color matched to the cai powderocating is what we wil be going for.

as far as the welds, the welds need to be there, we removed much of the welding shown on the top thru the different versions and are left with the design shown above. if we were to start ginding down the welds more then we are doing already boost leaks will occur. we take pride in these and will make them as clean as possible but there will still be weld to see. each box is pressure tested 5 times thru the production.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
You mean I should use plastic utensils when I cook my eggs on the manifold after each run?

Sorry, attempt at humor. I see these manifolds in my future.

Les
yes

Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 PM

everyone n the list has been contacted, ill snap a pic with one of the suprcharged emblems on the box tonight so you guys can debate whether it should be there or not

Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Are they going to have the NeedsWings logo on them, like in the pictures?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Are they going to have the NeedsWings logo on them, like in the pictures?
yes, they will have our logo on the side

here is what it could look like with supercharged on the top. this is a stainless emblem in the picture but we could cut them out in aluminum and tack them onto the top the same way we do our logos.

whatever the majority of you guys agree on we can have them on top and coated with the teflon like everything else. if you wanted to sand off the teflon on the face of the emblems and then clear coat over the shiney aluminum you can do that also and it should look pretty trick but that would be up to you to do

so ill need to know from everyone is if they want the top blank or an emblem. if an emblem, the majority concensus design we can do at no extra charge. if you want something custom (not trademarked or copywrited) it would be a $50 charge for the autocad work to make the waterjet file and cut the material.

Attached Images
0909082316e.jpg (42.4 KB, 110 views)

Quick Reply: Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6