Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Car & Engine SHAKES

Old 11-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car & Engine SHAKES

Hello ppl,

I read a bit about these engine shakes and was wondering if you think it could be misfiring or a computer error.

FYI: 1) Car was serviced 1 month ago.
2) No warning lights on the dash

My steering wheel always shook a little bit while stopped, and it always gives a slight rumble when turning off. (All these i consider normal)

The shaking im havin trouble with is a full on, "passenger/driver movement in the car" shakes. The RPM's are average when stopped, however, the needle moves a mm up and drops, and back up n drops (it never did this b4). You can hear it in the engine aswell, like very light revs.

So I popped the hood and saw the engine l physically moving left and right, not aggressively, but noticeable enough. You can see the car shaking from the outside. The shakes only happen when the car is stopped or idle. While driving, the transmission is normal and gear changes r all there.

The shake feels good, kinda like im running a highpowered V8. However, with all positives there is a negative.

I need some advice to locate my negative.

Any help/feedback would be appreciated,

Thanks
Rax

Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Car & Engine SHAKES

sounds like the mechanic may have bpulled a vacuum line while servicing the car. start at the front and work to the back looking fior any disconnected lines and around the maf sensor

Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would follow Steve's suggestion..... your car shouldn't be shaking at all if everything is connected and running properly.....

Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
sounds like the mechanic may have bpulled a vacuum line while servicing the car. start at the front and work to the back looking fior any disconnected lines and around the maf sensor
Originally Posted by MikeR
I would follow Steve's suggestion..... your car shouldn't be shaking at all if everything is connected and running properly.....

Yo props to you both!!

Your advice gave me the motivation needed to fix errors that dealers would charge a B***h to fix, on top of takin my baby away for a day or two.

I just purchased my XF in May this year and I've been curious, yet hesitant about messing with any parts in the engine bay. I have no skills when it comes to mechanics. I would consider these skills unexplored @ this time, but im lookin to work on em.

Dude, listening and reading about enough problems that others had with the MAF's/ Cleaning Fuel Injectors/ filters etc. gave me the courage to take the XF on and find the problem. I managed to clean the filters, do a Throttle Body Adjustment and found a hose near the MAF pulled [most likely the primary issue]. Quickly and successfully removing the engine cover was the highlight of my curiosity.

Feel like a fool for not checkin sooner. But i could have been a D**k n just taken it to a shyte mechanic.

Thanks again!!
Awesome advice!
I love this Forum!!

Best,

Rax

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/Untitled.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/Untitled.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The big hose on the elbow just below the MAF housing will cause this. BTW, my V8 runs super smooth. I guess I need some cams!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Forum Regular

Probably need new motor mounts also. I have been through a number of sets

Old 11-12-2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
The big hose on the elbow just below the MAF housing will cause this. BTW, my V8 runs super smooth. I guess I need some cams!
Yup, thats exactly where the disconnect was. An aftermarket camshaft would b an awesome addition. Better valve timings, higher air-fuel ratio. Destruction!!

Im plannin on a V8 swap down the line. But im lookin towards something close to a direct swap. how was the CL500 installation?

Also, any idea how to simply remove the dealer's electic limit on the speed, or is chipping the only way?

Thanks for the help

Rax

Last edited by RaxCrossfire; 11-12-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I'm refreshing this post because i'm actually running into the same problems.
My engine is shaky exactly as yours and i went to see if i found a hose disconnected/leaking.

I found one, but while i cut it (about 1,5cm) and reconnected it without leak(s), the engine was still shaky.
I noticed that when i replaced the sparks, i didn't recconect firmly 2 sparks wires.
I reconnected them while the engine was running at idle to see if there was something better ... but, nothing !!!

I looked around the MAF to see if there was some other problematic hose ... but it doesn't seems to be.

If someone has an idea, i would greatly thanks him.
By the way, my XF is a 3.2 V6 (not SRT6) and is totaling 115000 Km.

Thanks !

Old 08-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Also, any idea how to simply remove the dealer's electic limit on the speed, or is chipping the only way?
A EuroTune removes the speed limiter ......

Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

well, you are a better man than me to replace the plug wires while the car is running I will give you that. If no vacuum hoses are off, don't rule out the dreaded crankshaft position sensor.... when it 1st starts to go, it will sometimes give you that rough idle syndrome...
One way to tell, is if it starts, and the rough idle is present. Shut it off, and restart it. If it idles fine, it could be the sensor...

Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Forum Regular

Shakey engines could be , vacuum leak somewhere , new motor mounts , maf , cps
Or even bad ignition coils (this last one was my case in my vw)
Hope you get it sorted , I hated having misfire

Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
well, you are a better man than me to replace the plug wires while the car is running I will give you that. If no vacuum hoses are off, don't rule out the dreaded crankshaft position sensor.... when it 1st starts to go, it will sometimes give you that rough idle syndrome...
One way to tell, is if it starts, and the rough idle is present. Shut it off, and restart it. If it idles fine, it could be the sensor...
In fact, my problem occurs all of the time.
It is "permanent", even if the engine is hot ... or cold.
There is no difference at hot state ... perhaps, the problem is even worse at hot state.
From now, i already got the engine stalled/died 2 times (the first time was at a "traffic light", the second time was when the car was parked ... so basically, the car was at idle and engine was hot).

Just one thing : i know where the crankshaft sensor is, but as i ordered the camshaft sensor too, i thought i know where it was but after verifying, i don't.
Can you please indicate me where it should be ?

Thanks !

Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jackerman
Shakey engines could be , vacuum leak somewhere , new motor mounts , maf , cps
Or even bad ignition coils (this last one was my case in my vw)
Hope you get it sorted , I hated having misfire
I can tell you that i hate to have misfires !
The fact is, for a "shaky engine" problem, you're telling me all of these :
  • vacuum leak somewhere
  • new motor mounts
  • maf
  • cps (CRANKshaft //OR// CAMshaft POSITION SENSOR ??? ...... or both ?)
  • bad ignition coils
This makes a lot of hypothesis !
I will start with the cheaper ones, MAF being the winner in this category !!!
Motor mounts wouldn't be so expensives at all ... and, ignition coils pack are 130€ for the 6 units.
But who says "replace ignition coils packs" says "replace the sparks wires too" ... so add a 130€ too for the sparks wires ... which makes a total of 260€ ... This is not the price of a MAF sensor ... but at least, it is expensive.

By the way, wouldn't the "check engine" light should be on when there is misfires ?
Or, perhaps, when it doesn't come from ignition, but something else, there is no "check engine" light showing up ?

Last edited by simkard; 08-06-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simkard
I can tell you that i hate to have misfires !
The fact is, for a "shaky engine" problem, you're telling me all of these :
  • vacuum leak somewhere
  • new motor mounts
  • maf
  • cps (CRANKshaft //OR// CAMshaft POSITION SENSOR ??? ...... or both ?)
  • bad ignition coils
This makes a lot of hypothesis !
I will start with the cheaper ones, MAF being the winner in this category !!!
Motor mounts wouldn't be so expensives at all ... and, ignition coils pack are 130€ for the 6 units.
But who says "replace ignition coils packs" says "replace the sparks wires too" ... so add a 130€ too for the sparks wires ... which makes a total of 260€ ... This is not the price of a MAF sensor ... but at least, it is expensive.

By the way, wouldn't the "check engine" light should be on when there is misfires ?
Or, perhaps, when it doesn't come from ignition, but something else, there is no "check engine" light showing up ?
yes your check engine light will be illuminated after the ecu detects multiple misfires , forgot how my instructor on school explained that one to me..but atm you have no Cel so your culprit couldnt be most any of those , I'd say start with what was suggested above
Vacuum check first , if no leak is found go for the mounts

Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jackerman
yes your check engine light will be illuminated after the ecu detects multiple misfires , forgot how my instructor on school explained that one to me..but atm you have no Cel so your culprit couldnt be most any of those , I'd say start with what was suggested above
Vacuum check first , if no leak is found go for the mounts
Do you know what values should be showing while reading them @ engine idle thru OBD ?

I have an ELM327 (bluetooth) and i can monitor the engine while at idle for you to check if there is a problem with any sensor/something else ...

Tell me if that could be useful because as i don't have another engine like this by hand, i can't be sure of anything !

Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 AM

Just one thing : i know where the crankshaft sensor is, but as i ordered the camshaft sensor too, i thought i know where it was but after verifying, i don't.
Can you please indicate me where it should be ?
Nevermind -> after looking at the "Crossfire - Service Manual", i found it
It's located on the front left of the engine.

I just received it, right now ... but i don't have the female TORX for now (they are coming by post and should be delivered tomorrow ... perhaps )

See you

Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Nevermind -> after looking at the "Crossfire - Service Manual", i found it
It's located on the front left of the engine.

I just received it, right now ... but i don't have the female TORX for now (they are coming by post and should be delivered tomorrow ... perhaps )

See you
FRONT RIGHT ( the side where the oil filter isn't - unless left and right mean the opposite in France )

Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Hey guys, I've been having the same problem (engine shakes the entire car at idle, especially hot, and seems to almost stall), and I've checked for vacuum leaks but haven't found any. I've read some earlier posts, so are you guys are basically saying it could be the cam shaft sensor or sparks/ignition coils? are those also common sources to this problem? Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by matthew.herr
Hey guys, I've been having the same problem (engine shakes the entire car at idle, especially hot, and seems to almost stall), and I've checked for vacuum leaks but haven't found any. I've read some earlier posts, so are you guys are basically saying it could be the cam shaft sensor or sparks/ignition coils? are those also common sources to this problem? Thanks
hi, shaky-crossfire-man

I'm clearly affected by this problem and for now, i just received my camshaft position sensor.
I will replace the one which is actually on my engine from here to tomorrow (i'm actually lacking the FEMALE TORX plugs).

What i can say to you is : actually, i looked at :
  • Vacuum leaks : I had one and corrected it but i still have the shaky problem
  • replaced fuel filter : nothing changed
  • replaced sparks : nothing changed
  • replaced air filters : nothing changed
  • i don't have any "CEL" (check engine light) appearing while the engine shakes/stall/dies
For me, the symptoms seems to be worse while the engine is in hot state.
This could be psychologic because at cold state @idle, the engine is running at higher RPMs than at hot state @idle.
But, i can confirm that when i put the 1st gear and let the vehicle on idle, i can feel the same shakings.

At higher RPMs this problem must still be present, but, as the RPMs are higher, it is diminished.

You could try to replace the ignition coils from your side.
Like this we can work in a intelligent way of solving our problem (and helping other people that runs into the same situation).

I will have the crankshaft position sensor delivered soon, so, after changing these 2 sensors, i will be able to tell if YES OR NO, these sensors were problematics.

Keep me in touch and follow this topic !

Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM

hi, shaky-crossfire-man

I'm clearly affected by this problem and for now, i just received my camshaft position sensor.
I will replace the one which is actually on my engine from here to tomorrow (i'm actually lacking the FEMALE TORX plugs).

What i can say to you is : actually, i looked at :
  • Vacuum leaks : I had one and corrected it but i still have the shaky problem
  • replaced fuel filter : nothing changed
  • replaced sparks : nothing changed
  • replaced air filters : nothing changed
  • i don't have any "CEL" (check engine light) appearing while the engine shakes/stall/dies
For me, the symptoms seems to be worse while the engine is in hot state.
This could be psychologic because at cold state @idle, the engine is running at higher RPMs than at hot state @idle.
But, i can confirm that when i put the 1st gear and let the vehicle on idle, i can feel the same shakings.

At higher RPMs this problem must still be present, but, as the RPMs are higher, it is diminished.

You could try to replace the ignition coils from your side.
Like this we can work in a intelligent way of solving our problem (and helping other people that runs into the same situation).

I will have the crankshaft position sensor delivered soon, so, after changing these 2 sensors, i will be able to tell if YES OR NO, these sensors were problematics.

Keep me in touch and follow this topic !
Hey, it does sound like the same problem i'm having, and thanks. i will check this thread again in a day or so, but if you don't post please email me at herr7933@yahoo.com, and if it works out for you i'll definitely give that a try.

Quick Reply: Car & Engine SHAKES