Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!

Looks like a good replacement for the south of the border unit. I noticed that you did not copy the original splitter on the inlet side. I have wondered about its value, do you suppose that it was just for support or did it do something to straighten out the air flow??

Well done, Woody

Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
looks great rudy. its going to be a nice alternative for these guys.
It does and thanks. Hoping it performs as well as it looks and have no reason to believe it will not. Just have to get it installed though and get some performance numbers.

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
Beautiful work, perfect welds. Hate to see it get dirty or worse, hidden.
It really is pretty and I wish I could say the welds laid down were mine but they are not. I won't say mine would have looked bad like fuzzy little caterpillars but they would be far from these rows of dimes.

Originally Posted by waldig
Looks like a good replacement for the south of the border unit. I noticed that you did not copy the original splitter on the inlet side. I have wondered about its value, do you suppose that it was just for support or did it do something to straighten out the air flow??

Well done, Woody
My guess is that there was a casting sprue put there to have a center axis for fixturing and machining the flange and the bolt recesses and after the flange was machined flat, the piece was rotated 180 degrees and the bottom bolt faces were machined with the piece being machined clean from the sprue. Less waste doing it that way and near perfect repeatability.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I hope she works for you....

Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I hope she works for you....
.... sooo that it can work for us . I got your back Doc don't worry.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice work, Rudy. I can't wait to see how it functions.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy22Bob
Looking forward to the results.
Apart from this new CAC....are you moding the IC as well?
I dont mean to be a party pooper - but
1) the assumption here is that your new improved CAC will throw more heat at your IC (behind your grill) and it will still come back at the same CAC inlet temp as it was on the old CAC....ergo - the IC is able to dissipate the added heat you throw at it - ie: it has spare capacity.
I hope this is the case for you/us.

2) The alternative of course is that the IC can't and your IC inlet temps go up and subsequently your CAC water inlet temps go up (possibly quicker because you intially extract more heat from your new improved CAC)....reach a steady state inlet temp which is higher, and end up not being able to bring your AIT's down and the net benefit is zero....

Now the type of IC you have in series with this will be a key factor - let us know.

Its the old weakest link sydndrome.

I hope (for all of us) its the first case (1) - we all watch with anticipation.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Billy22Bob
I dont mean to be a party pooper - but
1) the assumption here is that your new improved CAC will throw more heat at your IC (behind your grill) and it will still come back at the same CAC inlet temp as it was on the old CAC....ergo - the IC is able to dissipate the added heat you throw at it - ie: it has spare capacity.
I hope this is the case for you/us.

2) The alternative of course is that the IC can't and your IC inlet temps go up and subsequently your CAC water inlet temps go up (possibly quicker because you intially extract more heat from your new improved CAC)....reach a steady state inlet temp which is higher, and end up not being able to bring your AIT's down and the net benefit is zero....

Now the type of IC you have in series with this will be a key factor - let us know.

Its the old weakest link sydndrome.

I hope (for all of us) its the first case (1) - we all watch with anticipation.
The only way this would be worse and result in higher IATs is if the core itself is not as efficient as the OEM one and there's a marked improvement over stock with this new core. Will this provide an improvement with everything else stock, hard to say but with an upgraded pump and heat exchanger, the old one will be left in the dust.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!

As an example, the supercooler has a capacity of SEVERAL times the area and core volume of the IC, new or old. The Better HE should be considered as under utilized. My old video shows the water from the HE falling is a FEW seconds after a run on the 1/4 mile.

Now if your using the stock HE, your in big doo doo as that is a VERY restrictive core and its small and is a poor air flow situation. A better than stock pump will over load its limited heat rejection capacity is short order.

A better IC and a Bigger pump is where I am heading, especially the pump, but were in the cold end of the year time that causes all projects to slow to a crawl, thanks givings to new years, so measured results will be delayed on that front.

Again, the system has all three legs of the chair needing to be improved for any real gains in cooling. That is the IC the HE and the circulation pump. To be continued.

WEEKEND, enjoy Wdy

Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very Nice work Rudy!! Ill be watching, mine is leaking. So im gonna be in need of a fersh unit before the spring.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great Rudy!

hoping your performance results show enough of a gain to make it worthwhile even without the end of the leakers at hand!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular

Ya, like, I will watch the progress too....

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 PM

I've found a rather mickey mouse solution to the problem. Just run the IC fluid through Walt Disney's frozen head...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bruco1
looks great Rudy!

hoping your performance results show enough of a gain to make it worthwhile even without the end of the leakers at hand!
What does this mean

Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM

With the holidays and end of the year, things got really busy for me so sorry for the lack of updates but here's the big one that you guys have been waiting so patiently for.

I got around to installing the IC right after Christmas and have had it in the car for about two weeks now. After lots and lots of highway pulls, I've noted lots of improvement although it's mixed bag. Nothing bad, it's just that this upgrade will really go hand in hand with supercooler as the stock heat exchanger won't let you realize the full potential this thing has to offer. It really takes the heat out of the air charge and by really, I mean you can saturate the coolant in the IC circuit with heat very quickly if you're flogging the car. I'm running a relatively small heat exchanger and when the coolant is cool, the IATs stay cooler for longer than they would with the factory IC for about half a highway pull. After that, they're at the same temps as they would be with the factory IC. If I had more capacity in the cooling circuit, this would be extended as there would be more coolant to heat up and if I had a more efficient heat exchanger, it would keep it cooler, longer regardless of the volume.

The other benefit is the motor is no longer ingesting coolant. A factory core would have fixed this problem but only for a while and the longevity with them just isn't there. My second factory IC only had 35k on it when it wet the bed (no pun intended) so it's just a matter of time before I'd have to replace it a third time due to it cracking and leaking cooling. Those problems that plagued the factory core aren't an issue with these due to the difference in core design and manufacturing and these cores are capable of 500HP and 2.5bar (~36PSI) so pretty much anything these cars can throw at it, it will easily handle.

Price is $1000 and there is a 2-week lead time on them from the time the order is placed as they are being manufactured on an as-ordered basis.

Please email me at rcompart@gmail.com for more information or to place an order.

Last edited by rcompart; 03-08-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
With the holidays and end of the year, things got really busy for me so sorry for the lack of updates but here's the big one that you guys have been waiting so patiently for.

I got around to installing the IC right after Christmas and have had it in the car for about two weeks now. After lots and lots of highway pulls, I've noted lots of improvement although it's mixed bag. Nothing bad, it's just that this upgrade will really go hand in hand with supercooler as the stock heat exchanger won't let you realize the full potential this thing has to offer. It really takes the heat out of the air charge and by really, I mean you can saturate the coolant in the IC circuit with heat very quickly if you're flogging the car. I'm running a relatively small heat exchanger and when the coolant is cool, the IATs stay cooler for longer than they would with the factory IC for about half a highway pull. After that, they're at the same temps as they would be with the factory IC. If I had more capacity in the cooling circuit, this would be extended as there would be more coolant to heat up and if I had a more efficient heat exchanger, it would keep it cooler, longer regardless of the volume.

The other benefit is the motor is no longer ingesting coolant. A factory core would have fixed this problem but only for a while and the longevity with them just isn't there. My second factory IC only had 35k on it when it wet the bed (no pun intended) so it's just a matter of time before I'd have to replace it a third time due to it cracking and leaking cooling. Those problems that plagued the factory core aren't an issue with these due to the difference in core design and manufacturing and these cores are capable of 500HP and 2.5bar (~36PSI) so pretty much anything these cars can throw at it, it will easily handle.

Price is $1000 and there is a 2-week lead time on them from the time the order is placed as they are being manufactured on an as-ordered basis.

Please email me at rcompart@gmail.com for more information or to place an order.
Cool.......

Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Excellent! So, a Johnson and a bigger H/E would bring out the full potential in this beast, right?

$1,000 is a bargain since used ones are still half that, and there's 0 guarantee they'll last. Heck, the same can be said for the stockers with zero miles.

Great job, Rudy!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Excellent! So, a Johnson and a bigger H/E would bring out the full potential in this beast, right?

$1,000 is a bargain since used ones are still half that, and there's 0 guarantee they'll last. Heck, the same can be said for the stockers with zero miles.

Great job, Rudy!
A H/E and a bigger Johnson would bring out the full potential in MY beast ......

Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
A H/E and a bigger Johnson would bring out the full potential in MY beast ......
That's what she said

Old 01-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is so great that you have made this happen for everyone Rudy; Major Kudos! What are your thoughts on thermal coating the new CAC? Is it worth the extra expense?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work!
You should bash heads with Woody's procedure and do some comparative heat load tests.

Either way - nice piece of kit.

Quick Reply: New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!