Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Possible I/C Pump Replacement

Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Possible I/C Pump Replacement

Billy - Typically you won't get any warning that your IC Cooling Pump is on the fritz with the exception of an unexplainable (but extremely noticeable) loss of horsepower from the SRT's supercharged engine. Then, when you least expect it, the power has returned, but only for a minute or so. When the clutch of the S/C keeps engaging/disengaging, the most common culprit is the overheating of the S/C which is normally caused by no coolant flowing through the inter-cooler because the pump has failed. Since this cooling system is basically separated from the engine coolant system (joined only at the overflow tank), you can continue to drive the car with no harm to the engine nor to the S/C, but you will have dramatically decreased HP. Those of us that have the supercharged Xfires really enjoy the ~330HP that a fully functioning SRT engine (or the SLK32 ) can deliver and we can pick up on the loss of H/P rather quickly

RL

Last edited by RL67037; 06-28-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really hard to miss the supercharger not kicking in, you'd know if you were afflicted by it. For me, sometimes it'd get up and go when I put my foot in it and other times it'd sit back (the RPM would shoot up, it'd feel like it was going to go) but it just didn't. I believe that when I started noticing this it hadn't gone out completely, as it seemed extremely sporadic even in a short period of time that I don't believe it could have cooled down in. I noticed it most on the interstate and tested it there, got up to about 70 mph and planted my foot... it'd go from 70-100 really quickly then I'd do it a few more times and eventually the supercharger would fail to kick in... it did get progressively worse. If you're having these issues be sure to check the fuse, #13 on the SRT-6 but I'm not sure what it is on the SLK32. If you really want to find out if it's working, feel to see if it's running. Take the car out and get it up to 2500 RPM, the intercooler pump stays on after this point until the car is turned to the ON/OFF position. I'm not sure where the pump is on the SLK32, I believe it's behind the front passenger tire well but it looked harder to reach than the SRT6's.

Edit: RL67037 beat me to it by a long shot! The pump seems to be the most common issue, sometimes the fuses blow and this should always be the first assumption as it's the cheapest, and every now and again it'll be the thermostat. There are NO WARNING LIGHTS OR CODES.

Last edited by Archaic; 06-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:02 PM

Hey guys. I'm looking to replace my pump, read this thread, but I am still confused as to what the nomenclature is on the stock/original pump... Could somebody steer me straight?

Best regards -- Bob

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM

Ok, I am also trying to sort all of this information out. I am leaning towards the purchase of the Bosch pump as it will be the most direct fit/replacement. After seeing RL67037's post on the Bosch 010 pump I am gearing towards that one on Amazon. However, on Amazon (part# Bosch 0 392 022 010) is referenced as an auxiliary water pump. These are two different pumps (intercooler vs auxiliary water pump)??? The (part# Bosch 0 392 022 002) is listed as an intercooler pump. Just looking for some clarification.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Forum Regular

El Jefe - that is the exact pump I bought

Amazon Amazon

You'll be good as long as no one has already changed the pump and modified the bracket/connector before you got there. Even though they call it an "Aux Water Pump", it's for the inter-cooler on our cars.

RL

EDIT: Also if you decide to go with the 002 pump - the inlet and outlet ports are different lengths (longer) than what is on the OEM pump, so you will have to modify the hoses if you go with that one. Additionally, the Mercedes guys are saying this pump (the 002) is also crap and I think it was the original pump for the 02/03 SLK 32s.

Last edited by RL67037; 07-03-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by El Jefe
Ok, I am also trying to sort all of this information out. I am leaning towards the purchase of the Bosch pump as it will be the most direct fit/replacement. After seeing RL67037's post on the Bosch 010 pump I am gearing towards that one on Amazon. However, on Amazon (part# Bosch 0 392 022 010) is referenced as an auxiliary water pump. These are two different pumps (intercooler vs auxiliary water pump)??? The (part# Bosch 0 392 022 002) is listed as an intercooler pump. Just looking for some clarification.
Bosch 0 392 022 003 is the stock pump. I would go with the Bosch 0 392 022 010.

Last edited by Archaic; 07-03-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Archaic
Bosch 0 392 022 003 is the stock pump. If you purchase the Bosch 0 392 022 010 from amazon, be prepared to do some minor wiring. The I/C Pump that needswings sells is the Bosch 0 392 022 010 but they've including a wiring harness for it that I believe is plug and play.
Archaic - I am going to have to respectfully disagree on this. I just did this change out about a month ago and used the pump from Amazon and it was a identical match to the 003 that I removed, including the wiring. I tried to order from NeedsWings but he was only carrying the 003 at the time and hadn't started stocking the 010 yet. When I asked Rob at NeedsWings about the 010, he hadn't heard about them yet - we actually exchanged several emails about the pros and cons of the Bosch 003, the 010 and the Johnson. Since I don't have the tools to do modifications, I went with the 010 since it required no mods to the bracket or the connector.

RL

Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by RL67037
Archaic - I am going to have to respectfully disagree on this. I just did this change out about a month ago and used the pump from Amazon and it was a identical match to the 003 that I removed, including the wiring. I tried to order from NeedsWings but he was only carrying the 003 at the time and hadn't started stocking the 010 yet. When I asked Rob at NeedsWings about the 010, he hadn't heard about them yet - we actually exchanged several emails about the pros and cons of the Bosch 003, the 010 and the Johnson. Since I don't have the tools to do modifications, I went with the 010 since it required no mods to the bracket or the connector.

RL
Haha, I'd already edited that post because I realized that I was wrong after I went back and re-read your first post. I've also corrected this information on my original post. Hopefully this makes things a little more clear for people who are having the same issues.

Last edited by Archaic; 07-03-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mach2plus
Hey guys. I'm looking to replace my pump, read this thread, but I am still confused as to what the nomenclature is on the stock/original pump... Could somebody steer me straight?

Best regards -- Bob
Bob - from what I have found on my searching on this is that by the time our cars were coming out in 2005, Bosch was selling the 003 pump which I found installed (and failing) on my car. That being said, Rob at NeedsWings told me he has been selling the 003 pumps for several years and has had no complaints from the buyers. I have no idea what is different about the 003 pumps that came originally on our cars (that fail) and the 003 pumps that he sold that were rock solid. Anyway, he is now carrying the 010 pumps, which is the latest revision of these pumps from Bosch and is an identical replacement to what is installed. NeedsWings has them as well as Amazon - they are the same pump if they end with 010. Your choice on who you purchase from if you need one. I installed a 010 about a month ago and I have no idea how long it will last, but the guys on the Mercedes Benz forums say this 010 pump is supposed to be more robust than the previous iterations. Only time will tell.

Thanks

RL

Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Forum Regular

Haha, I'd already edited that post because I realized that I was wrong after I went back and re-read your first post. I've also corrected this information on my original post. Hopefully this makes things a little more clear for people who are having the same issues.
Roger that!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the timely response!! New pump ordered from amazon...... Bosch 0392022010

Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was at my local shop this week dealing with another srt6 issue (second fuel pump and filter in the last 30 days) and looked into the IC pump (already had the original changed out at 30k by dealer) and we were digging into the MB history on the slk32 and MB did no less than four updates to the pump part number during the production run + after production stopped. His contact at MB indicated it was a large issue and it got to the point that they were nearing recall levels at one time (although no recall was ever launched).

Bosch does not list the 003 on their site, just an 002 and 010 with the 010 having a slightly higher flow rate at the same pressure values. So it may be possible that the 003 was pulled in favor of the 010.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Infinity
I was at my local shop this week dealing with another srt6 issue (second fuel pump and filter in the last 30 days) and looked into the IC pump (already had the original changed out at 30k by dealer) and we were digging into the MB history on the slk32 and MB did no less than four updates to the pump part number during the production run + after production stopped. His contact at MB indicated it was a large issue and it got to the point that they were nearing recall levels at one time (although no recall was ever launched).

Bosch does not list the 003 on their site, just an 002 and 010 with the 010 having a slightly higher flow rate at the same pressure values. So it may be possible that the 003 was pulled in favor of the 010.
Well just got the Benz part at the shop and can confirm the 010 is indeed the specd replacement part

Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy22Bob
what were the signs your pump was U/S?
Warning lamps? Codes? High AIT's?
Just wondering - woud be foolish of me to assume its running when/if there are no warning signs until you really make a demand on it and go...oh....its not pumping..!
yes sir, that is the sign......it's not pumping... LOL...
Here goes...there is a sensor that measures temp. If the pump fails the sensor will not let the s/c kick on due to heat build up from the pump not pumping enough coolant So, when you first start out, the car is cool, everything is perfoming just fine. Once the temps come up, and the pump isn't pumping enough, the sensor will shut down the s/c. If you are on it, it will nose dive because the boost is lost. Temps come down, s/c kicks back on, and away you go. Now imagine this happening every 10 seconds or so, while you are WOT... She is a bucking a horse. First on, then off...until you quit and let it cool down...It will run, but not have the power....

There will be no codes thrown, or any real warning...just these symptoms..

Last edited by oledoc2u; 07-23-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:02 PM

I've managed to order the wrong I/C pump, the pump that I ordered was an update to Bosch 0 392 022 003, part number 0 392 022 010. Supposedly our stock pumps, Bosch 0 392 022 002, are nearly the same as the Bosch 0 392 022 003 except for the connection and the inlet and outlet size. Supposedly the Bosch 0 392 022 010 is for V12's only but I know it has been used on at least one 2002 C32 AMG as a replacement to the Bosch 0 392 022 003 which only some of them were fitted with, supposedly it has similar flow rates to the Johnson CM30. How much do the inlet and outlet size matter for the vehicle, if I was able to get this pump onto my car would it likely cause damage? How does the size of the inlet and outlet play into the pressure that the pump puts out? I feel that there are too many factors that I'm probably missing for me to decide that this is a reasonable or downright bad idea. By default I assume bad idea, but I'd like to know what others think about it.

Solved: I believed that I had made a mistake when ordering this part due to inaccuracies in the information that I was finding on these pumps through forums and google. The stock I/C Pump is Bosch 0 392 022 003. For future reference, the Bosch 0 392 022 010 is compatible with our cars, without modification. You can find them cheap on amazon, needswings sells them with the stock wiring harness for those of you that already had yours split for the CM30.
Can someone help me locate a CONNECTOR for the Bosch 0 392 022 003 or the Bosch 0 392 022 010 pump (which uses the same connector). I contacted Rob at needswings and talked to him over the phone and he does NOT have the connector. Not sure how Archaic was able to obtain one as he stated above.

thanks.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by randomwalk101
Can someone help me locate a CONNECTOR for the Bosch 0 392 022 003 or the Bosch 0 392 022 010 pump (which uses the same connector). I contacted Rob at needswings and talked to him over the phone and he does NOT have the connector. Not sure how Archaic was able to obtain one as he stated above.

thanks.
Random

Not really sure what your set-up currently is. Has your I/C pump ever been replaced, and if it has, did it get replaced with a Bosch pump or a Johnson pump?

If, in fact, you still have the original pump in your car, and you order a Bosch 010 pump, you will not need a new connector. If you order a Johnson CM30 to replace your OEM pump, you will need a connector for the Johnson pump, which Needswings normally provides with the Johnson pump.

If, on the other hand, the pump that is currently installed on your car is a (replacement) Johnson pump and you are replacing it with a Bosch 010, then you will need a connector for the Bosch. I have heard (but not proven) that these connectors can be found at Radio Shack. Might be best to take the pump into RS and see if they can match it up.

Give us a bit more information on your current set up and I'm sure someone will chime in to help you out.

RL

Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM

Random

Not really sure what your set-up currently is. Has your I/C pump ever been replaced, and if it has, did it get replaced with a Bosch pump or a Johnson pump?

If, in fact, you still have the original pump in your car, and you order a Bosch 010 pump, you will not need a new connector. If you order a Johnson CM30 to replace your OEM pump, you will need a connector for the Johnson pump, which Needswings normally provides with the Johnson pump.

If, on the other hand, the pump that is currently installed on your car is a (replacement) Johnson pump and you are replacing it with a Bosch 010, then you will need a connector for the Bosch. I have heard (but not proven) that these connectors can be found at Radio Shack. Might be best to take the pump into RS and see if they can match it up.

Give us a bit more information on your current set up and I'm sure someone will chime in to help you out.

RL
Yeah I don't have stock connect which fits the 010 pump that's why I'm looking. Right now I'm using the 002 which I'd like to replace with the 010.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by randomwalk101
Yeah I don't have stock connect which fits the 010 pump that's why I'm looking. Right now I'm using the 002 which I'd like to replace with the 010.
Hmmm...a 002 Bosch pump? Not really the norm on the Crossfire - sounds like someone has been in there before you. If you have a 002, then your hose sizes and lengths may not fit the 010. From my research, the SRTs normally came out with a 003. These pumps are used on the Mercedes SLK32 and maybe some Fords (Mustangs, Lighting...) as well as other brands, so a search on some other forums might be helpful, or even contacting a dealership. As you might have noticed, the Chrysler dealerships are not very helpful when it comes to Crossfires since they haven't been made in almost 5 years - the service departments don't know much about them. In a case like this, it's best to find a product that still uses what you need and try to buy the part for that car/truck.

Another thing you might try is this site

www.TheCrossfireShop.com

I think he parts out wrecked Crossfires, so if he has access to a wrecked SRT, he might be able to cut off the OEM connector and send it to you. Just a thought.

Sorry couldn't be of more help - good luck on your search!

RL

Last edited by RL67037; 07-23-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Forum Regular

Just finished my 2nd pump replacement. The 010 was used by the Chrysler dealer back in 2006 so it looks as if that pump is indeed the most current. I got 100,000 miles on the first 010 before I started to experience some loss in performance and cooling ability.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Hmmm...a 002 Bosch pump? Not really the norm on the Crossfire - sounds like someone has been in there before you. If you have a 002, then your hose sizes and lengths may not fit the 010. From my research, the SRTs normally came out with a 003. These pumps are used on the Mercedes SLK32 and maybe some Fords (Mustangs, Lighting...) as well as other brands, so a search on some other forums might be helpful, or even contacting a dealership. As you might have noticed, the Chrysler dealerships are not very helpful when it comes to Crossfires since they haven't been made in almost 5 years - the service departments don't know much about them. In a case like this, it's best to find a product that still uses what you need and try to buy the part for that car/truck.

Another thing you might try is this site

Interior Trim, Electrical, switches, etc. items in The Crossfire Shop store on eBay!

I think he parts out wrecked Crossfires, so if he has access to a wrecked SRT, he might be able to cut off the OEM connector and send it to you. Just a thought.

Sorry couldn't be of more help - good luck on your search!

RL
I have four SRT6 right now. I am very reluctant to cut off a plug and damage a perfectly good SRT6 harness.

Quick Reply: Possible I/C Pump Replacement