Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Another Woody Idea for cooling your intercooler, no caost

Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Another Woody Idea for cooling your intercooler, no caost

The last title word is to be no: COST................Woody

Well the thought of Spring pops into the mind of all of us and of course I have a new cooing item to make the SRT-6 run a bit better and a bunch cooler. How can it be another cooling do hickey from Woody ( Waldig)??????????? and how much is this one going to cost - - - - - - AARGUE.

Well here is another Waldig special that can do more with less and while Iam watching TOP GEAR to boot. Oh did I mention that it will cost less!. Wait I have not paid for it yet , and yet it is advertised to cost less, less than what nothing??? Well you get value without spending money and even get money back (sorta) and all for free. Truly an impressive feat, now how do I prove it to the motley crew on this forum, follow along for the proof and details. Gawd I love coming up with this stuff, and it is not that I dont have at least 4 other hobbies that compete for my time and money. ENUFF for gosh sake on with it Waldig

OK cooling is very much an issue for the SRT and this GEM of an Idea is for the Intercooler cooling system. I will show you how to extract additional heat out of the IAT and improve the performance of the I/C system without any changes to the car, no weight gain (actually you lose weight), no bolts are moved and no mechanical parts are added or removed. Nothing to buy unless you consider getting me a Diet coke or two at Calisle this 2010 summer for the change.

A disclaimer: THis brilliant change is only applicable for the SRT cars WITH separated I/C and radiator systems. There is still time to separate your coolant systems and join the group that will follow me on the quest for lower temp inlet air to the motor.

To cool the IAT more it is necessary to EXTRACT and REJECT more heat from the I/C and H/E. TO do this you must be able to carry the heat better and more of it. Its simple chemistry really. The use of fresh water will do this but has winter and chemistry issues unless its for a lap at the track and then purge. Antifreeze DECREASES the amount of heat moved per gallon********. If fresh water is 1.0 as a reference, then typical 50-50% antifreeze can only carry 0.85 or 85 percent as much as water.

Check The Condition
You can’t judge the condition of the coolant by appearances alone. It may look like new, but if the chemistry isn’t right the coolant can be a potential time bomb just waiting to cause problems.
Most antifreeze is about 95% ethylene glycol by weight, with the remainder being corrosion inhibitors and other additives. Time and heat eventually deplete the protective additives, leaving the system vulnerable to internal corrosion. Ethylene glycol never wears out, but the additives do so that’s why the coolant needs to be changed or recycled after so many miles. Keeping the coolant up to snuff is especially important for vehicles with bimetal engines (iron block and aluminum heads) and those with aluminum radiators because aluminum corrodes more quickly than iron when the coolant chemistry turns sour.
The old rule of changing the coolant every two years or 30,000 miles is still valid for "conventional" green and yellow coolants. But the same also applies to systems filled with long-life coolant that may have been contaminated with conventional coolant. If long-life and conventional antifreeze are intermixed, the interaction between the additive packages can reduce the life of the long-life antifreeze from five years/150,000 miles down to that of ordinary antifreeze.
Unfortunately, it’s difficult to tell if a system filled with long-life antifreeze has been topped off or intermixed with ordinary antifreeze. Dex-Cool in General Motors vehicles is dyed orange to distinguish it from ordinary coolant, but it takes a lot of green or yellow coolant to produce a noticeable change in color. If in doubt, it’s always safer to err on the side of caution and go with the shorter service interval.
The best way to check the condition of antifreeze is with a chemical test strip that shows how much reserve alkalinity (which prevents corrosion) is left in the coolant. The test strip changes color when dipped in the coolant, allowing you to compare the color against a reference chart to determine the coolant’s condition. If the coolant tests bad or is close to borderline, replace or recycle it.

There are many charts and several articles to show you the backup technical data.

I have chosen a antifreeze mixture of 20% which is good for a temp of 14 degrees F, plenty for my Virginia location and storage in a garage. This means that I have less antifreeze and therefore more water having a better heat transfer characteristic. The gain is the difference between the heat capacity of the 50% AND the 20% fluid and thererfore an improvement of at least 10%. THis means that we are moving at least 10% more heat by using a better fluid without any changes, excepting the removal of some antifreeze and water replacement. This is the difference of 0.94 for 20% at 160 degrees versus 0.85 at 50% at 160 degrees.

Freezing Point of Ethylene Glycol based Water Solutions

Freezing points of ethylene glycol based water solutions at various temperatures are indicated below

Specific Heat Capacities - cp - of ethylene glycol based water solutions at various temperatures are indicated below

Automobile antifreeze solutions should not be used in HVAC systems because they contain silicates that may cause fouling. Silicates in automobile antifreeze are used to protect aluminum engine parts.
Note! Distilled or deionized water should be used for ethylene glycol solutions. City water may be treated with chlorine which is corrosive.
Systems for automatic makeup water should not be used since a leakage would contaminate the environment and dilute the antifreeze protection of the system.

TTTTtaaaa DAAAAA. HOw simple is that. Id suggest that you read the articles to gain additional information on the radiator and its chemical sensitivity to water materials / PH characterisitcs.

But wait there is more! The reduction of the antifreeze percentage to gain additional heat transfer capacity, YOUVE reduced the viscosity of the water mixture which thins the fluid allowing it to circulate better, faster and with less effort. WOW, this is cool literally and it does not cost you...............

THe articles referenced show that the thicker 50% antifreeze fluid is about 50% more viscous than the 20 degree solution which carrys more heat. Now the pump will move more water per minute. If you have one of my SUPERcoolers or a kin to it, you will be able to circulate even more water. THe factory cooler was only good for about 2.1 gallons per minute and my design of the supercooler was almost 4 GPM. The thinner fluid would allow the pump to increase flow by a measurable amount, be it a stock or improved I/C pump.

Dynamic Viscosity of Ethylene Glycol based Water Solutions

Dynamic viscosities - μ- of ethylene glycol based water solutions at various temperatures are indicated below

SO we have a better mixture (thinner) which carries more heat and it is lower in cost. The one thing that Id suggest is the addition of some water pump lubricant / rust inhibitor. THis would assist the survival of the aluminum components in the intercooler and heat exchanger and provide better protection. Again Taaa Daaa.

Now for the info that I have found in all the research needed to develop this concept. THere is a section of the articles that suggest that you check the hydrogen ion content or PH of the antifreeze to determine the corrosion protection level. The article also indicates that antifreeze never wears out and I have always believed that but had no data to hang it on, till now. Checking the PH will also insure that the water is not going to eat into the radiator or intercooler piping. Its as easy as getting PH strips and sticking one into the water to see what it re claads, by color. Chemistry class all over again. The PH strips are those that are used to test water for swimming pools or water supplied to your home. Easy piezy if you ask me.

Next check the pH level. This can be accomplished using a simple pool and spa test kit or pH test strips which can be obtained at any swimming pool supply dealer. When performing this test, keep in mind that any reading between 7.7 and 9.3 total pH is within manufacturers’ guidelines and is therefore acceptable.

Iam going to test the electrolysis of the cooling system by putting a volt meter to check my water for its corrosion capability. It states that you should see less than one tenth of a volt ( 0.01) when the negative lead is on the battery (-) terminal and the positive terminal inserted into the water of the radiator. I have to test this as I wonder if the metallic coating of the meter probe might react with water to great a small battery effect. Like I said, I gotta check that one for myself.

Using a multi-meter, check the system for electrolysis. Turn the dial on the meter to DC volts, touch the negative lead to the negative battery updates as they post and dip the positive lead into the coolant at the filler neck. Take care not to touch the bottom of the tank or the sides of the filler neck. Any reading over .01 volts indicates excessive voltage in the system. Check the system with the engine off and then again when starting and running the engine. Many electrolysis failures are caused by poor starter grounds, so it is important to turn the engine over at least once during this test.

More comments as they develop, and are tested and proven or not.

Please review the references to gain MUCH MORE info on the radiatior / intercooler systems.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-glycol-d_146.html

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/coolant_&_radiator_service.htm

http://www.radiator.com/articles/alumrads.html

Woody ENJOY and stay COOL……..Taaa Daaaaaa

Last edited by waldig; 03-12-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another Woody Idea for cooling your intercooler, no caost

Hey ya Woody!

Um, whats the cliffnotes version...if there is one?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Talking Re: Another Woody Idea for cooling your intercooler, no caost

Iam going to use 20% antifreeze and rust inhibitor in my intercooler to gain at least 10% more cooling capacity. THinner antifreeze carries more heat easier and with less fluid friction,more flow. Woody

Sorry about the lost charts?????just would not load from Word.

Woody

Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Hey ya Woody!

Um, whats the cliffnotes version...if there is one?
.........................+1

Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by waldig
Iam going to use 20% antifreeze and rust inhibitor in my intercooler to gain at least 10% more cooling capacity. THinner antifreeze carries more heat easier and with less fluid friction,more flow. Woody

Sorry about the lost charts?????just would not load from Word.

Woody
20% antifreeze and 80% water?
same MB spec antifreeze?

and what did this have to do with the splitting of the coolant system? sorry i got lost in all the numbers. are you running a 20/80 in one circuit and a regular 50/50 in another or something?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 PM

THe engine has a greater heat load and needs the boiling protection (some) but the intercooler does not. Thinner fluid will gain and transport (expell) more heat for lower IATs.

Woody

I also do not know if there is iron in the motor. THe intercooler circuit is all plastic and aluminum and dont have concern for less than 50% antifreeze.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 599 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
THe engine has a greater heat load and needs the boiling protection (some) but the intercooler does not. Thinner fluid will gain and transport (expell) more heat for lower IATs.

Woody

I also do not know if there is iron in the motor. THe intercooler circuit is all plastic and aluminum and dont have concern for less than 50% antifreeze.
I believe this engine is of the wet sleeve design and the material of the sleeve is steel or iron?
I'll check to be sure though.
Edit
Wet sleeve or not these are Silitec liners (aluminum-silicon alloy) so - no problemo.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-12-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Forum Regular

Um, Yeah I have A.D.D. and got about 4 words into that...

I think you had the long story of: less coolant/protectant = cooler temps. Hence why I run stright ice water at the track and 20-30% coolant for daily driving.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Forum Regular

Did this last year altho i ran 10 parts water 1 part antifreeze. so 10%

Oh and dont use tap water FYI.

I need to do spring maintence and get her race ready this summer

Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 AM

use water wetter, its the best thing since sliced bread. just dont use it if it gets near or below freezing as it has no freeze protection.

We use it in our track cars and race bikes and see a 20-30 degree temp reduction with no other modifications

Old 03-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

More great info Professor!

Your post is almost as long as Long Cat LOL!

Ref the Word charts.
  • Display the chart on your monitor then hit ALT + PRINT SCREEN
  • Open PAINT (or similar program) start a new image and PASTE (CNTRL + V)
Your Word chart can now be saved as a picture. Edit as you please and post it!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:10 AM

I also use different amount of Glycol in Summer and winter with my separated IC-System. Winter approx. -15 degrees Celsius, Summer approx. -5 degrees Celsius (to prevent corrosion).

Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 AM

+1 on water wetter. It solved a hard to fix cooling issue on another car.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:33 PM

I have uploaded photos of the charts to make better sense of the 'original posting', above. The reformatting killed the messenger, I apologize for that one. The thread is now meaningfully shorter also.

The idea in a nut shell is that the thinner antifreeze solution will cool the intercooler better due to better heat transfer characteristics. The separate engine coolant is left at normal 50% strength.

Now I can Say
WEEKEND, Yippie
WEEKEND, Yippie
WEEKEND, Yippie
WEEKEND, Yippie Woody

Last edited by waldig; 03-12-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of a rust inhibitor/lubricant, would Water Wetter do the tirck too?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 PM

basically
water wetter replaces the antifreeze and breaks up waters surface tension.

The problem with a water/glycol mix is that water still retains its surface tension, so the water will want to flow more vs. cooling.
when you break up waters surface tension it retains more heat

Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 AM

The best thing you could use is DI Water (stripped condensate by way of Deionization). I use it in all my vehichles radiators, and run pure DI water in my Race trucks air/water intercooler. I work at a power plant and this is what we use in making steam. The water's silica, cation, antion, and hardnesses are so low to prevent and buildup or rusting in the boiler, steam drum, or turbine. This water is very pure and clean, its even potable, but i wouldnt drink it, some guys have and it acts like a laxative because it contains no minerals your body wont process/absorb it.

Like you mentioned water has a greater heat exchange compaired to antifreeze, but its mildly currosive. Ive been running DI water in everything i own for several years will no buildup or pitting on aluminum parts.

Now as how one would go about aquiring DI water without working at a power plant?

That i dont know, but i figured i would toss that out there for you to ponder.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 599 Likes on 502 Posts

[quote=daithi2]........ This water is very pure and clean, its even potable, but i wouldnt drink it, some guys have and it acts like a laxative because it contains no minerals your body wont process/absorb it. quote]
The body will absorb this mineralized water, you will not die from thirst using it. The water lacks any useful minerals and the danger lies in this lack of necessary chemicals. See Wiki for a more complete explanation.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular

I used to use Water Wetter in all my vehicles until I read where Water Wetter had increased the opportunity for corrosion. I thought this was odd that a company that specializes in cooling would have a product that could do that but when I first got my car, Erik from LET and I swaped out my HE and we were discussing Water Wetter, he said he would not recommend it and that many MB mechanics recommend a product from DEI. He confirmed what I had read as being his opinion as well. I believe Rob sells the DEI as well.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 AM

the reason it increases risk for corrosion is due to its lack of glycol like properties.

but with a properly maintained cooling system, and the fact you have to flush and run glycol when the weather gets near freezing or lower, means there should be no ill-effect on your cooling system.

Quick Reply: Another Woody Idea for cooling your intercooler, no caost