Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

my twist on oem intake mods

Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default my twist on oem intake mods

hi everyone. i was chatting with some guys on the want ads section about dual cai and heres what i came up with.
1 i started by gutting the tubes in front of the oem boxes. the silencers are really restrictive
2 then i used 3" stainless steel tubes with 3" couplers from lowes to connect the tubes to the boxes.
3 now i contacted rob at needswings to fab me some "devil horns!" . these worked for the sl55 boxes so why not my oem?
4 after some trimming to the horns,( my grille area is so tight i couldnt mount the horns and clear the grille) i have the setup fabbed in place. guytted the tight plastic flappers in the grille area.
5 what i ended up with was a 3" opening from the grille to the oem boxes k&n filters in the boxes to the throttle body were i modded a c3 style intake but bigger than the c3. thanx to jonneyangel for the insiration!

so heres some fotos let me know what you think. so far i have less than 200$ in the entire setup. while it isnt on the level of robs dual cai mine looks great should flow much better than stock and best of all i keep my beloved mercedes center piece!!

Last edited by 32krazy!; 01-01-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Default Re: my twist on oem intake mods

more fotos

Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 PM

and still more fotos. what i wanted to do was get a true dual cai but upon close inspection you crossfire guys must have more room in front than me. theres isnt any way i could fit filters in front of my supercooler. i cant even put the 90 degree bend in without cutting a slot for the grill mount. so this is the best of both worlds for me.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I like it! It is nice seeing people do new things instead of just talking about it, Great job

Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job......

Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 PM

thanx guys. its really not anything new or exotic just taking the best from what is availble and modding to fit needs

Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I like the little horn intake thingys.
What kinda goo do I see where the two pieces meet on the passenger side in the second and third pictures?
Nice SuperCooler!

Last edited by tighed1; 10-06-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very inventive.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, great job on another great DIY work! It's always great to see pictures of the work to help others out.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: my twist on oem intake mods

I am into innovation, too. The cooler the air and the lower restriction, the more power the motor will produce.

Roughly the intake air yields about 1% additional engine power for each 10 degrees the inlet temperature is reduced.

Lower restriction will add more air which expands and thus generates more power. My original single inlet CAI had 30 inches of WATER restriction or about -1 PSIG at the throttle body. Stock intakes are well above that restriction level at full throttle and rpm in any gear.

Well done, keep at it. Woody

Old 10-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Great write-up. Can you elaborate a little more on the C3 style intake?

Thanks,

Glenn aka Marine05

Old 10-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine05
Great write-up. Can you elaborate a little more on the C3 style intake?
Thanks,
Glenn aka Marine05
Take a look here Glenn.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...e-code-3s.html

Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 PM

Looks good Krazy! Now take your cowl weatherstrip off and enjoy orchestral supercharger whine!

BTW, I was able to fit dual filters up front in front of the supercooler (just barely), but my grill is modified from stock.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ckovach
Looks good Krazy! Now take your cowl weatherstrip off and enjoy orchestral supercharger whine!

BTW, I was able to fit dual filters up front in front of the supercooler (just barely), but my grill is modified from stock.
i cant imagine how you did it! you see i had to trim the elbows just to get the grill installed. no way i could fit filters in there. besides i just cant part with my center piece! its what makes this motor so fast!!

dj im not sure what you mean by goo? i looked but im not seeing it. as for the supercooler this guy i know made it special for me!! again it was a really tight fit but it works like a dream!

i got the idea for the c3 style intake from dj's thread. a member i think jonnyangel? had some fotos of his as he didnt want to trash the oem cover.
so he went to lowes and got a 6" drain cover from the plumbing dept.8$ on the backside is the circle that fits in the pipe. cut it flush. then i used some a/c filter on sale at lowes 6$ and 1 piece of gutter gaurd from home depot 1.49$. remove the backside of the intake and put it onthe edge of drain cover and mark the holes. use the top edge so it wont hit the hood. drill the holes and mount to the intake. i then fit a piece of gutter gaurd doubled the filter material and used a second piece of gutter gaurd to sandwich the filter material inside the drain cover. 2 screws and your done! it really lets the blowers sound come thru and adds a little more air flow. total cost was 15.50 plus tax. and the best part is if you dont want it remove it and put the oem piece back on .

Last edited by 32krazy!; 10-07-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Oh Yeah. Now I remember.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
hi everyone. i was chatting with some guys on the want ads section about dual cai and heres what i came up with.
1 i started by gutting the tubes in front of the oem boxes. the silencers are really restrictive
2 then i used 3" stainless steel tubes with 3" couplers from lowes to connect the tubes to the boxes.
3 now i contacted rob at needswings to fab me some "devil horns!" . these worked for the sl55 boxes so why not my oem?
4 after some trimming to the horns,( my grille area is so tight i couldnt mount the horns and clear the grille) i have the setup fabbed in place. guytted the tight plastic flappers in the grille area.
5 what i ended up with was a 3" opening from the grille to the oem boxes k&n filters in the boxes to the throttle body were i modded a c3 style intake but bigger than the c3. thanx to jonneyangel for the insiration!

so heres some fotos let me know what you think. so far i have less than 200$ in the entire setup. while it isnt on the level of robs dual cai mine looks great should flow much better than stock and best of all i keep my beloved mercedes center piece!!
nice setup

Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 AM

I dont know what is more crazy the fact that you you liked my intake idea enough to make a replica, or the fact that I have the same coffee table in my apartment with the slate inlays. that is just too funny great minds mod and decorate alike lmao

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 10-24-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
I dont know what is more crazy the fact that you you liked my intake idea enough to make a replica, or the fact that I have the same coffee table in my apartment with the slate inlays. that is just too funny great minds mod and decorate alike lmao
well jonny im always one to give props were there do!! i ended up taking the c3 style off as rob chastised me for dumping hot air on top of the cold air. in actuality once removed i did notice a diff in the power. but thanx for the inspiration!!
oh btw my kitchen table is the same as my coffee table!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:23 PM

well jonny im always one to give props were there do!! i ended up taking the c3 style off as rob chastised me for dumping hot air on top of the cold air. in actuality once removed i did notice a diff in the power. but thanx for the inspiration!!
oh btw my kitchen table is the same as my coffee table!
I have the two end table as well. I agree I dumped mine after I noticed the same difference. Goes like a bat out of hell.................. until the engine bay gets hot.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
I have the two end table as well. I agree I dumped mine after I noticed the same difference. Goes like a bat out of hell.................. until the engine bay gets hot.
i also wrapped my stainlees steel tubes in black exhaust wrap. i can drive the car all day and lay my hands on the tubes! with the supercooler and intake mods and tstat mods im running cooler than ever and no heat soak issues at all