Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Air Intake Flow Data

Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Air Intake Flow Data

i have been sitting on this data for about a month now while waiting for everything to come togather for the dual intakes, we have the secondary pipes made, have a decent supply of the silicone y sections we had custom made and have a good supply of all the hoses and connections needed for the transition.

first off, the idea of the dual design was woody's (waldig). we spoke for some time about adding a secondary inlet to the cai kit. i was pessimistic to the benefits to the dual design at first and finally sent woody a secondary tube to play with last summer. he made it happen with a taadaa! hence the dual snorkle was born.

we had a run of custom made silicone Y sections made (took 8 months from when we ordered them) and finally have them here. made up a fixture for the flow bench to simulate the throttle body inlet and away we went with 4 hours of flowbench time...

SRT6 INTAKE FLOW NUMBERS
cai2 T big filters = 748.2 cfm @ 15in/h20
cai2 T no filters = 586.1
cai T big filter = 620.3
cai T small filter = 602.3
cai T no filter = 546.6
cai big filter = 602.7
cai small filter = 584.0
cai no filter = 539.2
oem intake system (stock filters) = 445.8
big filter (1) only bolted straight to flow bench (no tubing/couplers, think filter bolted straight to throttle body)= 782.6

cai2 = dual intake
t = teflon velocity coated inside and out
small filter = normal cai filter
big filter = xstream filter
no filter = entire cai system minus the filter at the end

notice larger filter picks up roughly 18cfm at that flow rate.
notice Teflon coating picks up another 18cfm also.
notice removing the filter hurts the airflow significantly.
Notice the dual inlet picks up 128cfm (possible with srt6 cai only, n/a’s would have issues with MAF sensors)

we have been getting a ton of emails/pm's this past week about the dual inlets due to the pictures that are surfacing of them and i will get everything for an introductory group buy for the retrofit kit togather later this week for those interested.

due to this flow data we have been eliminating powdercoating from our products and replacing it with the teflon coating due to the fantastic results we are seeing with it.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Air Intake Flow Data

Thanks Rob good things come to those who wait. 8 months is along time, thanks for staying with it. The teflon coatings look sick and can't wait to get my bay up to NW standards.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know anyone that will take the time to polish our manifolds at a acceptable price?
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by Montana Crossfire; 05-12-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:22 PM

i would def be interested in a group buy cant wait for it to come out.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is this the same setup for my slk32?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by slk32krazy!
is this the same setup for my slk32?
yes, although i havent test fit a drivers side tube thru the slk32 rad core support yet.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so i guess you should test 1 on mine!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=NeedsWings]
SRT6 INTAKE FLOW NUMBERS
cai2 T big filters = 748.2 cfm @ 15in/h20
cai2 T no filters = 586.1
cai T big filter = 620.3
cai T small filter = 602.3
cai T no filter = 546.6
cai big filter = 602.7
cai small filter = 584.0
cai no filter = 539.2
oem intake system (stock filters) = 445.8
big filter (1) only bolted straight to flow bench (no tubing/couplers, think filter bolted straight to throttle body)= 782.6

cai2 = dual intake
t = teflon velocity coated inside and out
small filter = normal cai filter
big filter = xstream filter
no filter = entire cai system minus the filter at the end

notice larger filter picks up roughly 18cfm at that flow rate.
notice Teflon coating picks up another 18cfm also.
notice removing the filter hurts the airflow significantly.
Notice the dual inlet picks up 128cfm (possible with srt6 cai only, n/a’s would have issues with MAF sensors)

[quote]

I was about to ask how on earth could the cfm improve with a filter vs without, and then realized that the filter appears to help in stabalizing the air flow.

Interesting that the CFM is significantly improved with a filter.

Thanks for the data!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Where's my invoice? Come on, don't make me wait. Oh by the way, great flow numbers. So is this the Ronald Regan version?

Les

Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw ROB any plans for an NA version? Or are there concerns with a dual snorkel for the NA?

Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM

Those are nice numbers! Will keep an eye out for the new thread. I'm ready to order.....

Old 05-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: Air Intake Flow Data

Air is material and it floats 747's everyday, over 500,000 pounds of metal and stuff. It needs to be respected and does not flow without friction, inerta, or turbulence.

Great gains are possible with minor changes and an air filter can assist in some applications (depends) by improving the laminar flow properties of the air. THe P51 mustang got thrust from its oil cooler under the plane and greater range with the Republic laminar flow wing shape. Everything in life is connected and interrelated ;;; Butterfly wings.

So bigger in air may not be better, though Human reasoning ( they do that) may have you believe otherwise. Turbulence can ground your plane or make noise in the pipes and limit the draft of air into the heat engine in your toy car.

I have been working to introduce less restriction and the dual intake CAI Rob is selling shows the gains that are to be had. Slowing the air, larger pipes reduces the pressure waves that limit smooth passage into the all important throttle body.

On the other hand I am completing the testing of new manifolds that are to improve the airflow to the heads by a BUNCH, by eliminating restrictions and friction losses in the air flow path. Youll like that one and after proof of concept they will probably be available this year. Youll really like that one and say thats STUPID anyone could have done that..........

Yup, its the old idea of keep it simple stupid. THis power adder will have more than a few throwing up their hands and wishing that they said: this is an idea we should try. But you all left this easy one for me to stumble across, so I tried it ( Ta Da so to speak).

BTW Walt disney has lots of jumping water displays from a company that stuffed pipes with STRAWS to even out the laminar flow and reduce turbulence. You may have seen the water and it looks weird as it leaps from point to point as a string of water, no spray or drops, one piece going up to 25 feet. Ill try to get video on that on to ya. The water does this cause its all going along at the same rate and not messing up with turbulence.

Enjoy, Woody

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6-Man
Those are nice numbers! Will keep an eye out for the new thread. I'm ready to order.....
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...e-release.html

Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
Air is material and it floats 747's everyday, over 500,000 pounds of metal and stuff. It needs to be respected and does not flow without friction, inerta, or turbulence.

Great gains are possible with minor changes and an air filter can assist in some applications (depends) by improving the laminar flow properties of the air. THe P51 mustang got thrust from its oil cooler under the plane and greater range with the Republic laminar flow wing shape. Everything in life is connected and interrelated ;;; Butterfly wings.

So bigger in air may not be better, though Human reasoning ( they do that) may have you believe otherwise. Turbulence can ground your plane or make noise in the pipes and limit the draft of air into the heat engine in your toy car.

I have been working to introduce less restriction and the dual intake CAI Rob is selling shows the gains that are to be had. Slowing the air, larger pipes reduces the pressure waves that limit smooth passage into the all important throttle body.

On the other hand I am completing the testing of new manifolds that are to improve the airflow to the heads by a BUNCH, by eliminating restrictions and friction losses in the air flow path. Youll like that one and after proof of concept they will probably be available this year. Youll really like that one and say thats STUPID anyone could have done that..........

Yup, its the old idea of keep it simple stupid. THis power adder will have more than a few throwing up their hands and wishing that they said: this is an idea we should try. But you all left this easy one for me to stumble across, so I tried it ( Ta Da so to speak).

BTW Walt disney has lots of jumping water displays from a company that stuffed pipes with STRAWS to even out the laminar flow and reduce turbulence. You may have seen the water and it looks weird as it leaps from point to point as a string of water, no spray or drops, one piece going up to 25 feet. Ill try to get video on that on to ya. The water does this cause its all going along at the same rate and not messing up with turbulence.

Enjoy, Woody
So, you're saying that you are making a better manifold than Rob's?

I'm a little confused with the dual CAI. It was always my understanding that the engine made more high-end power with the dual, but made more low-end power with the single? This was always the thought with the difference between Needswing's CAI and LET's. I know the results are that the dual's flow better, but do they really "perform" better? Have you done any before/after on a dyno? I'm honestly looking for more usable power, and not something that will open up the car at 120.

nah wat aim sayin'?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by indyjoe
So, you're saying that you are making a better manifold than Rob's?

I'm a little confused with the dual CAI. It was always my understanding that the engine made more high-end power with the dual, but made more low-end power with the single? This was always the thought with the difference between Needswing's CAI and LET's. I know the results are that the dual's flow better, but do they really "perform" better? Have you done any before/after on a dyno? I'm honestly looking for more usable power, and not something that will open up the car at 120.

nah wat aim sayin'?
he's making an add-on for the manifolds

thats your que woody, unleash the dyno sheets please

Old 05-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Forum Regular

I made a custom dual CAI and it seems to work rather well get pretty consistant 112's trap un-tuned. also i'm running 11.1 afr at 3,000 dropping down to 10.8 at redline so lots of power left for a tune.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
I made a custom dual CAI and it seems to work rather well get pretty consistant 112's trap un-tuned. also i'm running 11.1 afr at 3,000 dropping down to 10.8 at redline so lots of power left for a tune.
Wow that's a great time with a stock tune. Would you mind scanning in the timeslip so I can figure your DA. It had to be low, the best I could do without a tune was 12.52. That's 3 tenths better although mine wasn't in favorable DA with just the single cai.

edit: after searching a little I think distantpulse was also in the 12.2's without a tune.

Last edited by cruzinquick; 05-14-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 AM

Our super charger is least helpful at low revs due to bypassing losses, inerta of the air backflowing. The lower restriction of the intake allowed better breathing down there and thus more power early in the revs. Ill try to include the before and after with one inlet and two, done within a few minutes or each other- I just pulled off the baggy on the second filter, ta da.

I am using the original Needswings manifolds for my testing and with a mod I will hope to get the gains in flow that may reach an additional 40%. Flow numbers do not directly relate to hp gains though. Enjoy Woody

Old 05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Rob & Woody:

I think it would be a better comparison if you would dyno an original NeedWings single CAI against the new NW Dual CAI, rather than just plugging one of the filters/tubes on a dual. I understand that it's a decent proof of concept, but people want to see what the difference is between what they've got and what they might buy.

It is also significant to mention that the single NW CAI is powder coated and the dual NW CAI is teflon coated. This should make even more difference between the two. Also for something as close as 12 whp, you should average a couple of runs with each.

Just saying.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:44 PM

This was my single CAI chart best as my records go, Woody

All tests are on the same dyno for the cai's, see the dates March and later in the summer, quiet a difference, ENJOY - stocks are up yeah!

GGGE I thought my baggie was a cute approach to doing back to back testing of one variable.............

Last edited by waldig; 05-14-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Intake Flow Data