Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
rcompart
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: New Intercooler Core anyone? OH YEAH, IT JUST GOT REAL!!!

With the holidays and end of the year, things got really busy for me so sorry for the lack of updates but here's the big one that you guys have been waiting so patiently for.

I got around to installing the IC right after Christmas and have had it in the car for about two weeks now. After lots and lots of highway pulls, I've noted lots of improvement although it's mixed bag. Nothing bad, it's just that this upgrade will really go hand in hand with supercooler as the stock heat exchanger won't let you realize the full potential this thing has to offer. It really takes the heat out of the air charge and by really, I mean you can saturate the coolant in the IC circuit with heat very quickly if you're flogging the car. I'm running a relatively small heat exchanger and when the coolant is cool, the IATs stay cooler for longer than they would with the factory IC for about half a highway pull. After that, they're at the same temps as they would be with the factory IC. If I had more capacity in the cooling circuit, this would be extended as there would be more coolant to heat up and if I had a more efficient heat exchanger, it would keep it cooler, longer regardless of the volume.

The other benefit is the motor is no longer ingesting coolant. A factory core would have fixed this problem but only for a while and the longevity with them just isn't there. My second factory IC only had 35k on it when it wet the bed (no pun intended) so it's just a matter of time before I'd have to replace it a third time due to it cracking and leaking cooling. Those problems that plagued the factory core aren't an issue with these due to the difference in core design and manufacturing and these cores are capable of 500HP and 2.5bar (~36PSI) so pretty much anything these cars can throw at it, it will easily handle.

Price is $1000 and there is a 2-week lead time on them from the time the order is placed as they are being manufactured on an as-ordered basis.

Please email me at rcompart@gmail.com for more information or to place an order.

Last edited by rcompart; 03-08-2014 at 03:39 PM.